Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in .bash_profile Linux Post 302368167 by NIMISH AGARWAL on Wednesday 4th of November 2009 08:49:13 AM
Old 11-04-2009
Problem in .bash_profile Linux

Hello Friends,

I was trying to give a text/welcome message to a specific user just after his login.
For that i had added a echo test message line in .bash_profile of that user.

Which is not working ....

Also i had to execute a script on his login
for that i had tried to enter the script name (./home/user-name/test.sh)
in the .bash_profile (also tried to enter teh same in .bashrc)

permission of file is set to 777

Can some one please help me in this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

numbers on permanently through .bash_profile

Hi Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to edit ones .bash_profile, to make the setting on of line numbers (in vi/vim), permanent? I've been to a few IRC channels and people keep telling me it is more of a vi/vim thing and to use something called ".vimrc", however I heard that it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_profile problem

Hi Guys, I modified my .bash_profile script , and tried to change the prompt. Following is the line of code in my .bash_profile script. export PS1=" \W " But I get the output as: \W This appears to be my prompt now. Any idea what should be done.. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

question in .bash_profile

We are more users using the oracle account, and people want to include theyr own files in .bash_profile. Like this: while ; do echo -n "LOGNAME is '$LOGNAME' (no sens), who are you? " >/dev/stderr read ln export LOGNAME=$ln done This works well when logging in to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hannem
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash_profile does not working

Hi all. when i connect as user megaguru i have a problem my .bash_profile does not working^:( if i do: . ./.bash_profile all enviroment variables are in place. How can i force linux to use .bash_profile before logon process? thanx in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smallman
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash_profile or .profile

Hi, happy new year. on AIX 6.1 , for user oracle , there are two files : bash_profile and .profile I do not know which one is executed when login ? How to know , More over in both of them we have : in .profile : ORACLE_HOME=/appli/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

.bash_profile file corrupted

Hi, Unexpectedly i entered wrong entries in .bash_profile for my user which has administrative permissions. So, i am getting errors for every command. I dont have backup file also, so any body can help me how to recover it. Regards, Mastan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to organize bash_profile across different platforms

I want to have one .bash_profile works on multiple platform, ubuntu, debian, redhat, cygwin, osx. So how should I organize .bash_profile? It can be multiple files in some subdir Let me brief you: what i want is a way to organize bash_profile across platforms so I can use one set of profiles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John_Peter
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash_profile versus bashrc

Hi All Please can you tell , what is the difference between bash_profile and bashrc. How to create them? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile question

Hello everyone, I'm trying to set my .bash_profile to change my primary prompt from this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:~>to this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:/home/rcarvall> Here's what my .bash_profile looks like right now: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies

10. Linux

Renaming .bash_profile to .profile

Hi Gurus, Recently we have migrated our servers from AIX to Linux. Most of the scripts written in AIX server are sourcing environment variables using .profile file. Now we have the following options: 1. Change all the scripts where ever .profile is being used and replace it with... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
14 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)