Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX fsck doesn't work - not even run? Post 302367779 by Morhoo on Tuesday 3rd of November 2009 12:27:59 PM
Old 11-03-2009
Error fsck doesn't work - not even run?

Hi,

please consider, I'm pretty new to HP-UX, thanks.

Our server (rp7420 with HP-UX 11.31) has crashed due to disk write error (not boot partition). So I replaced damaged device with the new one of the same size and performed dd copy 1:1 to restore data - vxfs partition "/dev/vg01/lvol1" mounted as "/data" and some raw devs. After reboot system wrote this error: "vxfs mount: V-3-21268: /dev/vg01/lvol1 is corrupted. needs checking". So I wanted to run fsck command to fix filesystem, logged as root, but to my surprise nothing happened. No error, no output, no result. Just like if it wouldn't run. I'm sure I was able to run fsck many times before and I tried many variants of parameters, no deal. Any suggestions how to fix FS without using fsck? Or better, how to repair fsck to run properly? Thanks for every advice.

Ondrej Ilek.

Quote:
root@rp7420:/usr/sbin> mount -a
vxfs mount: V-3-21268: /dev/vg01/lvol1 is corrupted. needs checking
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol8 is already mounted on /var
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol7 is already mounted on /usr
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol6 is already mounted on /opt
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol5 is already mounted on /home
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol4 is already mounted on /tmp
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol1 is already mounted on /stand
root@rp7420:/usr/sbin> fsck -m /dev/vg01/lvol1
root@rp7420:/usr/sbin>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run fsck on swap slice?

Hi.. i am using sun solaris...and this is the filesystem information... you can see th slice(swap) c0t0d0s1 is giving some absord information......and during rebooting it is asking to run fsck mnually..when i run fsck manually it is giving error incorrect starting and end header...smthing like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

OS X / fsck / apps dont work no control panel

Alright. My neighbor kid brings me his iBook and says nothing works. He decided to move the file system to his likeness and that semed to create the problems. Now he doesn't have access rights to his home. I have run fsck over and over again and I keep getting ** fs modified ** I have also... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxwell
0 Replies

3. Solaris

fsck run

Hi, Can anybody tell me that is it the command "fsck" can be run by the root account only? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: efang
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Run fsck from standard login

Hello. I have created a FS /u00/ and created a non-root login under this FS. Also, disabled direct root login. Now is it possible or worth moving this login over to the root partition or allowing mount/umount + fsck from a standard account. As I am not able to run fsck for this FS. How to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a run fsck manually problem...

so i am pretty dumb when it comes to unix. but i am in the navy and the system i work on is unix based. and we have come across this problem. COULD NOT FIX FILE SYSTEM WITH fsck -P, RUN fsck INTERACTIVELY! LOGGING IN AS root FOR MANUAL fsk, ENTER ^D WHEN FILE SYSTEM FIXED (in bcheckrc)# ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afouts
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work as expected when run on cron

The script checks for free space stats on Oracle. If there are any tablespaces with more than 85% usage it prints the details of the tablespace. If all the tablespaces have more than 15% free space, then "All tablespaces have more than 15 pct free space" must be printed on the screen. When I run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run fsck on root file system

If i run fsck on one filesystem and fsck need to repair some things then this partition must be unmounted correct ? So running fsck on root file system isn't possible within same OS ? correct ? What is the best way to do that, live cd ? BR, Jurif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurif
5 Replies

9. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Disk corruption? Cant run fsck....

NOTICE: /: unexpected free inode 45262, run fsck(1M) fsck: cannot open vfstab Looks like /etc/vfstab (and a few other files has gone) Any ideas? Boot from cd, mount disk and recreate vfstab so that I can run fsck? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
fd(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     fd(4)

NAME
fd - file descriptor files DESCRIPTION
The /dev/fd file system is a pseudo-file system layered beneath the Virtual File System (VFS). The file descriptor files (fd*) are those files that are accessible through file descriptors. The file descriptors use the naming convention /dev/fd/0, /dev/fd/1, /dev/fd/2 and so on up to any number. To make the /dev/fd file system known to the operating system, you must create the directory with the correct privileges, then you must mount the file system. The following steps describe how to create the directory, mount the file system both manually and automatically, and how to dismount the file system: Create the directory using the mkdir and chmod commands: mkdir /dev/fd; chmod 777 /dev/fd Mount the file system manually using the mount command: mount -t fdfs /dev/fd /dev/fd Mount the file system automatically by editing either the /etc/fstab file or the /sbin/bcheckrc file. Add the following entry to the /etc/fstab file: /dev/fd /dev/fd fdfs rw 0 0 This entry mounts the pseudodevice /dev/fd on the /dev/fd directory with read/write privileges. The file system type is fdfs and the zeros (0) in the remaining fields specify that the file system is not to be backed up nor can file system checks be performed by the fsck command as this is a virtual file system. Add the following entry to the /sbin/bcheckrc file: # # mount fdfs # echo 'Mounting /dev/fd filesystem' /sbin/mount -a -v -t fdfs Again, the /dev/fd file system should not be mounted in this manner if an entire system is to be backed up starting from the root directory. Dismount the file system using the umount command: umount /dev/fd For correct truncate() behavior on fd files, you must load your program using the -lsys5 flag. RESTRICTIONS
The /dev/fd file descriptors should not be exported. EXAMPLES
The following example show how the open and dup functions have the same effect if file descriptor n is opened: fd = open("/dev/fd/n", mode); fd = dup(n); In the above example, the open function is equal to the creat function and mode is ignored. Using the dup function, subsequent reads or writes on the fd file descriptor files fail unless the original file descriptor enables the operation. ERRORS
The following error condition exists: The file descriptor is not valid. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: chmod(1), mkdir(1), mount(8). Functions: creat(2), dup(2), open(2). delim off fd(4)