Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Spaces in File Name issue
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Spaces in File Name issue Post 302367647 by ahmad.diab on Tuesday 3rd of November 2009 07:22:25 AM
Old 11-03-2009
the "${Varname}" is available in bash only.

---------- Post updated at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.diab
the "${Varname}" is available in bash only.
sorry not only in bash but also in KSH.
BR

---------- Post updated at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:19 AM ----------

kindly find some details and example below:-

Code:
Quoting means just that, bracketing a string in quotes. This has the effect of protecting special characters in
the string from reinterpretation or expansion by the shell or shell script. (A character is "special" if it has an
interpretation other than its literal meaning, such as the wild card character -- *.)
bash$ ls -l [Vv]*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bozo bozo 324 Apr 2 15:05 VIEWDATA.BAT
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bozo bozo 507 May 4 14:25 vartrace.sh
-rw-rw-r-- 1 bozo bozo 539 Apr 14 17:11 viewdata.sh
bash$ ls -l '[Vv]*'
ls: [Vv]*: No such file or directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directories with spaces in name - looking for help with questions in that issue

I need to work with 'nice' directory names which have some spaces in name, and that brings some questions and not-understanding. Would some expert help me out how to deal with that?! My task is to document some processing, running from some script. I do need to have spaces in directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning up spaces from fixed width file while converting to csv file

Open to a sed/awk/or perl alternative so that i can stick command into my bash script. This is a problem I resolve using a combination of cut commands - but that is getting convoluted. So would really appreciate it if someone could provide a better solution which basically replaces all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Name with spaces

I need to read pdf files copied in a unix directory.I tried using the for loop with find command but the file names is cutting off at the spaces.Below is the code I tried. for FILENAME in `find $DIR_FILE/ -name "*.pdf" -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -mmin +60 ` ##Needs to be changed later +60 to -60 do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beena
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with spaces in Java command line options

Hi, I am writing a shell script to build Java options dynamically in a variable array and pass them to java.exe. If an option value contains a space, I cannot find a way to get it interpreted correctly. Here is my example: #!/bin/bash JAVA_HOME=/opt/jvm/jre1.5.0_18 JAVA_OPTS=("-Xms256m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Romain
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of spaces Text file into CSV format file

Input file (each line is separaed by spaces )given below: Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- -----... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

White spaces issue with shell variables

Hi all, I've a requirement as below Source file src.txt sample data: A<10 white spaces>B12<5 white spaces>C<17 white spaces> A1<5 white spaces>B22<5 white spaces>C13<17 white spaces> when I'm fetching a record from this file into a shell variable like below: vRec=`head -1 src.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_1126
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with a file issue and a terminal issue

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some assistance. I'm currently enrolled in an introductory UNIX shell programming course and, well halfway through the semester, we are receiving our first actual assignment. I've somewhat realized now that I've fallen behind, and I'm working to get caught up, but for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrMagoo22
1 Replies
xdriver(1grass) 						Grass User's Manual						   xdriver(1grass)

NAME
XDRIVER - GRASS Monitor - driver to display GRASS maps in X11 environment. (drivers) DESCRIPTION
The GRASS XDRIVER can be used to display GRASS maps in X11 environment. Usage in details Variables: GRASS_WIDTH set the x size in pixel for the XDRIVER (default: 640) GRASS_HEIGHT set the y size in pixel for the XDRIVER (default: 480) XDRIVER_TRUECOLOR=[TRUE|FALSE] Look for a TrueColor visual (?) XDRIVER_WINDOW ? XDRIVER_PRIVATE_CMAP Private color map (?) XDRIVER_LEFT defines the left position of GRASS monitor (removed?) XDRIVER_TOP define the upper position of GRASS monitor (removed?) Set the XDRIVER size # bash shell syntax: export GRASS_WIDTH=xxx export GRASS_HEIGHT=yyy # c shell syntax: setenv GRASS_WIDTH xxx setenv GRASS_HEIGHT yyy To control the XDRIVER, use the d.mon module. The maximum color depth depends on the current X Server settings. SEE ALSO
Display drivers HTMLMAP driver, PNG driver, PostScript driver d.frame, d.mon, g.region d.rast, d.vect AUTHORS
CERL various improvements from several authors. Rewritten 2001 by Glynn Clements Last changed: $Date: 2008-03-23 15:34:53 +0100 (Sun, 23 Mar 2008) $ Full index (C) 2003-2011 GRASS Development Team GRASS 6.4.2 xdriver(1grass)