Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX migrating solaris DB servers to AIX - resources ? Post 302367556 by zxmaus on Tuesday 3rd of November 2009 03:10:57 AM
Old 11-03-2009
migrating solaris DB servers to AIX - resources ?

Hi Guys,

I have a new project where I have to migrate about 150+ database environments from various solaris systems running Solaris 8 / 10 and residing on very different sun boxes (from 25k down to ancient/unsupported hardware) to AIX (power6).

As special bonus for me, about half of these DBs are supposed to become migrated to Oracle once stable as Sybase DBs on AIX.

I know that I can use the RPE2 values to estimate the cpu requirements - but since the memory needs on Solaris seem pretty different from AIX, is there any safe way to estimate at least roughly the memory needs on AIX? For Sybase I can probably choose the value that's assigned to ASE and add 2-4 GB memory for the system and should be safe - but what do I do with oracle since here the memory usage seems to be highly depending on the DB connections and what they're doing?

Has anybody done similar tasks in the past and would be happy to share experiences.

Thank you and regards
zxmaus

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problem with migrating from AIX 5.1 to 5.3

I'am migrating from AIX 5.1 to 5.3 during migration installation a receive message enough space for dir /usr. My question is : how i can resolve this problem ? i can't reboot my server i hope that there is a command to obtain a spece without go out from installation procedure pannel... I'am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHCE Servers Online Learning Resources..

Anybody knows about any reliable source where i can study Linux servers while sitting at my home. A single bit of information in this regards will be highly appreciated. thanks :-) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman103
3 Replies

3. AIX

AIX Servers Ugrading or Migrating

:( Hi Grue, I am very new in AIX/UNIX environment. Please give me answer that during the upgrading or Migrating to 6.1 the AIX Server the applications of this server is accessible to Apps users or not? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tahniet
2 Replies

4. AIX

Upgrading to AIX 7 vs migrating

Hi all, I have this weird notion that upgrading the TL does not cause the machine to wipe, but upgrading a major version (from aix 6 to 7) means it's actually a fresh install and will wipe the date and i have to install the software again (TSM server, for instance). Trying to google it, i came... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tde3000
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)