Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting select contents between two delimiters (not working if newline in encountered) Post 302367280 by Balaji PK on Monday 2nd of November 2009 05:23:55 AM
Old 11-02-2009
This is fine.. but i want it generalised. I mean i should be able to give input text to it..

---------- Post updated at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:08 AM ----------

Code:
#sed -n '/efgh/,/%/{s/efgh-- //;s/%//;p;}' sample.txt

This gives the desired output for that 'efgh'
But does not give correct output for 'abcd'..
pls suggest

Code:
sed -n '/abcd/,/%/{s/efgh-- //;s/%//;p;}' sample.txt
abcd -- this is the first line
this is the
second line and not
able to print
[KRYPTON]/appltgb/test/repc/balaji >

---------- Post updated at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:10 AM ----------

can u pls suggest a generalised code for the problem stated above.

Last edited by pludi; 11-02-2009 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline character not working for ksh

Newline character "\n" not working for ksh in linux AS 3.0 Command : $echo "Hi\nHi" $Hi\nHi $ Expected output : $echo "Hi\nHi" Hi Hi $ Can some help me on this Thanks in advance Sanish. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanikv
11 Replies

2. UNIX Benchmarks

Encountered error!

I used this on an AIX machine and encountered the following error. $ ls -l total 600 -rwxrwxrwx 1 e26936 dba 1491 Feb 07 1992 MANIFEST -rwxrwxrwx 1 e26936 dba 8148 Apr 05 1992 Makefile -rwxrwxrwx 1 e26936 dba 4852 Sep 06 2003 README -rwxrwxrwx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: puspendu
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not working...select utility

#!/usr/bin/bash name="$@" myname=malay #echo $myname select firstname in $name; do if ;then echo $firstname else break fi done invoking with:- ./script.sh one two three four five six seven eight nine malay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

string deletion, variable contents, fixed delimiters

Hi, I need to mass delete the following string(s) from my files weight=100, However the '100' is variable e.g Current: ---------------- moretext=bar, weight=100, moreinfo=blah extrastuff=hi, weight=9999, extrainfo=foo Desired: ------------------ moretext=bar, moreinfo=blah... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebelbuttmunch
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select the exact matching contents using grep

Hi everyone I've two files.. The contents of file1 are as shown below 4 5 12 13 36 37 45 46 47 The contents of file2 are as shown below 21 hello 13 world (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i select all contents between two numbers?

I want to select contents between two numbers say 1. and 2. from an output file which has many numbers but only the these two ending with a dot(.) eg 1. 2 . 32. etc I was looking to select with the use of a counter then modify the selected contents and put it in an output file where again the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ausfragen
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to grep contents of a file within specific time span. regex i am using is not working

Hi , I am trying to extract contents of a file between specified time stamp. but it does not seem to work. i am trying to extract output of /var/adm/messages between 15:00:00 to 15:23:59 . i have tried two regex the first one seems to kind of work. it displays some output. the second one is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping/Reading file contents not working

Hi, I am doing something basic, but I am missing something. Im trying to read the contents of a file and taking those values and connecting to a database. However, it only connect to one (or reads in) value and then exists. Here is what it looks like: listname.txt db1 db2 db3 Script:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBnixUser
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command with variable options having spaces or null contents

Hi, I'm having an issue trying to produce a hierarchical directory menu that has either any directories listed in a specific directory as options or options with spaces in the option content or null content. So the menu function gets passed a base directory, it then lists any .sh scripts in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
6 Replies
SPLIT(1)							   User Commands							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION]... [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N use suffixes of length N (default 2) -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -d, --numeric-suffixes use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file --verbose print a diagnostic just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, GB 1000*1000*1000, G 1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report split bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'split invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 SPLIT(1)