Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing nth occurence
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing nth occurence Post 302366345 by radoulov on Thursday 29th of October 2009 09:45:52 AM
Old 10-29-2009
Given your sample data this should work:

Code:
  awk '{ for (i=1; i<=NF; i++)
           $i = i % 2 ? $i : "cba"
        }1'

Be aware that the above code will squeeze consecutive FS characters.

With Perl:

Code:
perl -pe's/(\w+)/$c++%2?cba:$1/ge'

Code:
% print abc abc abc abc abc abc |
  awk '{ for (i=1; i<=NF; i++)      
           $i = i % 2 ? $i : "cba"
        }1'
abc cba abc cba abc cba
% print abc abc abc abc abc abc |
  perl -pe's/(\w+)/$c++%2?cba:$1/ge'
abc cba abc cba abc cba

---------- Post updated at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Code:
echo "abc abc abc abc abc abc"|sed -e "s/abc abc/abc cba/g"
abc cba abc cba abc cba

Nice Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and replacing one occurence of pattern

I would like to use sed to replace one occurence of a pattern in a file. When I use the s/// command it replaces all occurences of the pattern in the file. Should I be using something other than sed? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss9u
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete line upto the nth occurence of a particular charachter.

hi all i want to delete a line upto a particular character. here is example. cp cms/images/wifi-zone.png i want to delete the line till . (cp cms/images/wifi-zone.) so the output wud be "png" only how can i do it? also please note down that dot (.) can also occur multiple... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifv
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace matching nth occurence

Hi for eg my file has: val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | here i need to replace '|' with '|\n' where the occurence of '|' is divisble by 2 so that the output comes like this val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | Requesting suggestions in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav288
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the Nth Occurence of Search String

Hi guys, I like to find the Line number of Nth Occurence of a Search string in a file. If possible, if it will land the cursor to that particualar line will be great. Cheers!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete until Nth occurence (sed, awk)

Hello people, Once more I need your help with SED/AWK I need to delete up to the Nth occurence of a char (from the beggining) and until the Mth occurence of a char (from the end) Example: Input: a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z Output: i,j Must delete up to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab nth occurence in between two patterns using awk or sed

Hi , I have an issue where I want to parse through the output from a file and I want to grab the nth occurrence of text in between two patterns preferably using awk or sed ! TICKET NBR : 1 !GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1 11/06/2013 15:56:29 ! 3100.2.22.3 98 ! 3100.2.134.2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract until nth occurence

Hi, I couldn't figure how to extract until last occurence of a character. I have the string ./dir1/file1/abc.sh The output should be /dir1/file1 So, the command should display the path until last occurence of "/". Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivn786
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get nth occurence of string from a file

I have file in which the data looks like this, 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ 03,test1,41203016,,/ 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: r@v!7*7@
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete after nth occurence of string in each line

Hello, Environment: I am under Ubuntu 18.04 bionic. I have an sql file consisting of 10K lines. Objective: What I am trying to attain is to remove everything coming after 2nd tab in each line. While searching for the answer, I found two answers and both gave expected result just for the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)