Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] redirect (save) array to a file Post 302366131 by ASGR on Thursday 29th of October 2009 01:24:18 AM
Old 10-29-2009
Thank you again Chris.

After weeks of searching the net and examining tens of
solutions, I do believe that the entire approach to arrays
in bash has been redefined due to your expertise and opened
up new possibilities for myself and other users. Dare I say
that it's even worthy of a third book!

I nearly had the solution myself, but used double quotes
around "string newline" instead of single quotes, should have
known better. Thanks also goes to nDuff at #bash for his/her
suggestions for using printf.

A.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl-data from file save to multidimensional array

i have a file,like 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 i want to save it into an array. and then i want to get every element, because i want to use them to calculate. for example: i want to calculate 1 + 3. but i cannot reach my goal. open (FILE, "<", "number"); my @arr; while (<FILE>){ chomp;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp-zz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a bash script, display on the screen and save all information in a file including error info

Hi all, How to: Run a bash script, display on the screen and save all information in a file including error information. For example: I have a bash script called test.sh now I want to run the test.sh and display the output on the screen and save the output including error info to a file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon sine
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect time command output to file (cygwin bash)

I have set up a bash script to run a long list of things that I need to time. I would like to redirect the output of time to a file. I have set it up like, echo "Runtimes for servlet 4, 100K structures" > test_times.txt echo "" >> test_times.txt echo "runs where N=10" >> test_times.txt echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing values from file into array in Bash

Hi, I'm trying to write a bash script that takes a file and passes each line from the file into an array with elements separated by column. For example: Sample file "file1.txt": 1 name1 a first 2 name2 b second 3 name3 c third and have arrays such as: line1 = ( "1" "name1" "a"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output into file bash scripting

Hi there. i have created a program that in the end it will give output like this 1 2 3 4 5 10 9 8 7 6 11 12 13 14 15 .............. 17 i wonder how to save the output into a single string and into a file. i.e 1 10 11 12 9 2 3 8 13 14 7 4 5 6 15 17 (in this order,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shdin271
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Save output into file bash scripting

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi there. i have created a program that in the end it will give output like this 1 2 3 4 5 10 9 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shdin271
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed?

I'm working on a script to execute a number of items. One being, editing particular files to add certain lines. I'm attempting to utilize sed, but, having issues when running from a bash script. Assistance is greatly appreciated. My example: sed -i '14 i\ # add these lines add these lines to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select and save file in new directory

I am trying to select a file in bash and save it to a directory. The below does run but no selected file is saved. Thank you :). bash # select file printf "please select a file to analyze with entered gene or genes \n" select file in $(cd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unset array element and save to file in Bash

#!/bin/bash X=(2H 4S 10D QC JD 9H 8S) How do I unset the 10D from this array and save it to a file? Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
5 Replies
ARRAY_MERGE_RECURSIVE(3)						 1						  ARRAY_MERGE_RECURSIVE(3)

array_merge_recursive - Merge two or more arrays recursively

SYNOPSIS
array array_merge_recursive (array $array1, [array $...]) DESCRIPTION
array_merge_recursive(3) merges the elements of one or more arrays together so that the values of one are appended to the end of the previ- ous one. It returns the resulting array. If the input arrays have the same string keys, then the values for these keys are merged together into an array, and this is done recur- sively, so that if one of the values is an array itself, the function will merge it with a corresponding entry in another array too. If, however, the arrays have the same numeric key, the later value will not overwrite the original value, but will be appended. PARAMETERS
o $array1 - Initial array to merge. o $... - Variable list of arrays to recursively merge. RETURN VALUES
An array of values resulted from merging the arguments together. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_merge_recursive(3) example <?php $ar1 = array("color" => array("favorite" => "red"), 5); $ar2 = array(10, "color" => array("favorite" => "green", "blue")); $result = array_merge_recursive($ar1, $ar2); print_r($result); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [color] => Array ( [favorite] => Array ( [0] => red [1] => green ) [0] => blue ) [0] => 5 [1] => 10 ) SEE ALSO
array_merge(3), array_replace_recursive(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_MERGE_RECURSIVE(3)