Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GCC: Choose my own linker
Top Forums Programming GCC: Choose my own linker Post 302366104 by Shompis on Thursday 29th of October 2009 04:20:57 AM
Old 10-29-2009
Ok. I was just thinking that the path will be hardcoded in the executable binary because of I do not understand how the executable binary will figure out which linker to use in runtime otherwise. Maybe just the name and not the path will be hardcoded? But I have not tested. So I am speculating.

---------- Post updated 10-29-09 at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-28-09 at 09:42 PM ----------

You are right. Didn't think about that the linker does not really need to be available during compilation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linker (ld)

hai I have installed Linux 7.0 on my system and i have an doubt the linker i ran simple hello.c program with gcc compiler gcc -c hello.c i want linker to produce the output so i put on the command line as ld first.o -lc but it is not running ver properly but there is an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
1 Replies

2. Linux

G++ Linker Error

Hi All, I m new to this group. I m facing one problem during my linking of CPP code at Linux env. after compliation i m getting error "undefined reference to ....." Please anyone help me to resolve this error. Regards, ASR make: Leaving directory /fwk' echo g++ -o server ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASRRAJ
1 Replies

3. Programming

XWindows programming + gcc linker options

Im trying to compile some code that involves using X-Windows based functions (XDisplayName() and XOpenDisplay() ), however each time I run the compiler, Im getting a problem with the linker. The linker says that both XDisplayName() and XOpenDisplay() are unresolved text symbols. Is there a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing gcc - recieve error message gcc : cannot execute

AIM- Install Oracle 11g on Solaris using VMWare Steps 1.Logged on as root 2.Created subfolders à /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/bin/gcc 3.Downloaded gcc & libiconv & unzipped them on my harddrive & burnt them on CD 4.Copied files from CD to /usr/local/bin/gcc 5.Terminal (root) à pkgadd -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ackers
8 Replies

5. Solaris

gcc & linker question (Solaris 10)

Hi, I'm confused about the GCC & Linking process could somebody please briefly explain? I have GCC 3.4.6 installed from SunFreeware. Reading the narrative alongside the package states "It was compiled to use the SUN assembler and loader usually in /usr/ccs/bin if the SUNW developer packages... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Celtic_Monkey
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Hp-ux linker option -c

Hi, The necessary symbols in a shared library can be exported to the application using linker option --version-script in Linux. The same can be done in Hp-ux using linker option +e. This can also be done by listing all the global symbols with +e in a file with linker option ld -c filename in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopa_v
0 Replies

7. Programming

gcc linker address

Hai, I have two (Pgm1.c and Pgm2.c) simple programs, which is compiled using gcc. Now we have two exe's (Pgm1 and Pgm2). When i executed the nm Pgm1 and nm Pgm2, in the listed symbols the address of main is same for both programs (08048344 T main) at run time also. Doubt: 1) What is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

runtime linker errors

Hey guys I have a solaris 10 OS, with a zone configured. In that zone, I am trying to install an Oracle Client. However, when I run the oracle installer, I get the following error: ld.so.1: java: fatal: libexpat.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory ld.so.1: java: fatal:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Runtime Linker Problems ld.so.1

Hello all, I am releatively new to Solaris and I am the System administrator for my branch at the FAA. This is the first time I can say I have really messed something up thankfully. My issue came up after installing and uninstalling Oracle Secure Backup which i felt I needed to do a clean... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbirkes
7 Replies

10. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies
Tcl_FindExecutable(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					     Tcl_FindExecutable(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_FindExecutable, Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable - identify or return the name of the binary file containing the application SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> void Tcl_FindExecutable(argv0) const char * Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable() ARGUMENTS
char *argv0 (in) The first command-line argument to the program, which gives the application's name. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The Tcl_FindExecutable procedure computes the full path name of the executable file from which the application was invoked and saves it for Tcl's internal use. The executable's path name is needed for several purposes in Tcl. For example, it is needed on some platforms in the implementation of the load command. It is also returned by the info nameofexecutable command. On UNIX platforms this procedure is typically invoked as the very first thing in the application's main program; it must be passed argv[0] as its argument. It is important not to change the working directory before the invocation. Tcl_FindExecutable uses argv0 along with the PATH environment variable to find the application's executable, if possible. If it fails to find the binary, then future calls to info nameofexecutable will return an empty string. Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable simply returns a pointer to the internal full path name of the executable file as computed by Tcl_FindExecutable. This procedure call is the C API equivalent to the info nameofexecutable command. NULL is returned if the internal full path name has not been computed or unknown. KEYWORDS
binary, executable file Tcl 8.1 Tcl_FindExecutable(3)