Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Bash scripting to compare arrays looking for matches Post 302365991 by karlp on Wednesday 28th of October 2009 01:18:13 PM
Old 10-28-2009
So, let's see if I can construct an example.

Long list 1 contains a list of files, so does long list 2. These filenames are being compared to shortlist, which is a list generated from a find command used on a directory. The long lists contain files that ARE NOT allowed in the directory.

I had no idea what algorithm to use to look for matches; that was a large part of my question.

Code:
Long_List1=( $( cat /lists/badfiles ) )
Long_List2=( $( cat /lists/disallowedfiles.txt ) )
find /files -name *.stuff > /tmp/stuff.txt
short_list=( $( cat /tmp/stuff.txt ) )

I was thinking of either skipping reading the files into arrays and using short_list (stuff.txt) as input into grep, or using the arrays in the fashion specified above.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two arrays in sh or compare two fields

I want a soultion to compare two arrays in sh with an easy way.I want a solution to synchrose users between different AIX servers where no NIS is available. All users are meant to be same on all 10 servers. So the approach is to consider first server as master user repository and whatever the users... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijeshpp
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting to compare N number of files located in two directories

I want to compare "N" (around 2000+) number of huge files located in a directory A against "N" files located in a different directory using Bash scripting. Please help me with any scripts available. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and print matches

Hi, I am looking for a way to compare two text files and print the matches. For example; File1.txt 89473036 78474384 48948408 95754748 47849030 File2.txt 47849030 46730356 16734947 78474384 36340047 Output: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays that compare ip addresses.

I've been trying to have an array of ip addresses go through a loop one at a time. Then compare if the current element is in another array of ip addresses. I've traced my error with /bin/bash -x + for c in '"${ip}"' ./netk5: line 65: 50.17.231.23 23.64.146.110 23.64.159.139 107.14.36.129... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two arrays

Hi, I am trying to compare two lists that are held in two variables so I believe I need to access the array elements to compare these. I am using ksh 88 and the code I have tried is below: for file in ${origfilelist} do if ]] then print -- "File ${file}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frodo61
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and print matches and non-matches in separate files

Hi all, I have two files, chap.txt and complex.txt. chap.txt looks like this: a d l m r k complex.txt looks like this: a c d e l m n j a d l p q r c p r m ......... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Compare 2 Files, Output All Matches

This is probably rehash but I did look. :rolleyes: I want a bash script that will take Item 1 in File1, traverse all lines in File2 and output if a match exists. Continuing the pattern recursively, Item2, File1, traverse all lines in File2 for a match, continue this pattern until all lines... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcbarr2014
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two arrays by values [BASH]

I have 2 arrays of values for example A1 ={10 15 3 21} A2 ={10 15 3 22} I need to check which one has greater values. However: A1 ={10 15 3 21} A2 ={10 15 3 21 3} - this one would be greater. A1 ={10 15 5 21} - this one greater A2 ={10 15 3 21} Basically, I want to compare patch... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jutsimitsu
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare bash arrays issue

Hello everyone, I need help comparing 2 arrays. the first array is static; the second array is not .. array1=( "macOS Mojave" "iTunes" ) cd /Volumes array2=( * ) # output of array2 macOS Mojave iTunes Mac me The problem occurs when I compare the arrays with the following code - ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trexthurman
6 Replies
ARRAY_INTERSECT_UKEY(3) 						 1						   ARRAY_INTERSECT_UKEY(3)

array_intersect_ukey - Computes the intersection of arrays using a callback function on the keys for comparison

SYNOPSIS
array array_intersect_ukey (array $array1, array $array2, [array $...], callable $key_compare_func) DESCRIPTION
array_intersect_ukey(3) returns an array containing all the values of $array1 which have matching keys that are present in all the argu- ments. PARAMETERS
o $array1 - Initial array for comparison of the arrays. o $array2 - First array to compare keys against. o $... - Variable list of array arguments to compare keys against. o $key_compare_func - The comparison function must return an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if the first argument is considered to be respectively less than, equal to, or greater than the second. int callback (mixed $a, mixed $b) RETURN VALUES
Returns the values of $array1 whose keys exist in all the arguments. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_intersect_ukey(3) example <?php function key_compare_func($key1, $key2) { if ($key1 == $key2) return 0; else if ($key1 > $key2) return 1; else return -1; } $array1 = array('blue' => 1, 'red' => 2, 'green' => 3, 'purple' => 4); $array2 = array('green' => 5, 'blue' => 6, 'yellow' => 7, 'cyan' => 8); var_dump(array_intersect_ukey($array1, $array2, 'key_compare_func')); ?> The above example will output: array(2) { ["blue"]=> int(1) ["green"]=> int(3) } In our example you see that only the keys 'blue' and 'green' are present in both arrays and thus returned. Also notice that the values for the keys 'blue' and 'green' differ between the two arrays. A match still occurs because only the keys are checked. The values returned are those of $array1. SEE ALSO
array_diff(3), array_udiff(3), array_diff_assoc(3), array_diff_uassoc(3), array_udiff_assoc(3), array_udiff_uassoc(3), array_diff_key(3), array_diff_ukey(3), array_intersect(3), array_intersect_assoc(3), array_intersect_uassoc(3), array_intersect_key(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_INTERSECT_UKEY(3)