Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading variable value from a file Post 302365800 by aixjadoo on Wednesday 28th of October 2009 05:25:05 AM
Old 10-28-2009
reading variable value from a file

Hello,

I need to read a variable value from script.
Below is the scenario

I am reading a value from an external file say a.txt

a.txt:

Jan
Feb
Mar

I need the corresponding value of the months in in numerics such as Jan -->1,
Feb-->2 etc.

I have this mapping in another file b.txt as

Jan=01
Feb=02
Mar=03

I am reading the text from a.txt, but since i need the numeric values,
I am trying to read the values of these months from b.txt

Plz let me know a possible way out

Thanks a lot!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file and assigning that to Variable

I am missing something here, I have a file which contains only one line and that is either a number or character string. I am trying to read the file and assign that value to a variable and here it seems I am missing something and not getting the expected results... Here is the code : #!/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the modified value of variable outside the while loop reading from a file

Hi Friends , Sorry if this is a repeated question , The input file contains 5 lines , so the the values of the variables i and count should b i=5; count=15 but the variables are not updating , the value of variables showing i=0 and count =0 only.:mad: can any1 help me please. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: babusek
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading the whole line from a file into a variable

Hi, I am doing : while read line do printf "%s\n" ${line} done <datafile.txt but I am not getting each single line from the data file assigned to the variable line (but only tokens/fields at a time). I also tried while IFS= read -r lineI want the whole line assigned or read into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shri_nath
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a variable from file

Hi, I have a situation where I need to read a variable from another file. But the problem is that the variable in the other file is starting with $. E.g. file1: $var1=out temp_ss.sh: . file1 echo "Print : $var1" It works fine if the file1 is having var1=out (note that it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file with while into variable and using in another process

I would appreciate some help, please. I have a file cutshellb.txt, which contains four report names (but it could be any number from 1 to x. The report suffix is not necessarily consecutive: report3785 report3786 report3787 report3788 I have a shell script which attempts to read the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dicloflex
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a variable from parameter file

HI all, I have a parameter file with entries like $$Name =Abhinav $$CUTOFF_DATE = 11/11/2209 I am reading a variable from this file using a awk command like : var2=`awk -F"" "/CUTOFF_DATE/{f=$1;}{print f;}" InputFIleName` but facing an error like awk: cmd. line:1:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file and storing it in a variable

Hi folks, I'm using bash and would like to do the following. I would like to read some values from the file and store it in the variable and use it. My file is 1.txt and its contents are VERSION=5.6 UPDATE=4 I would like to read "5.6" and "4" and store it in a variable in shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptfriend
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a File and Using as an Input variable

I need to know how the the string constant from Input File should be read and provide as input data for the script . INPUT FILE CONST VARIABLE myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname1 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname2 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname3 urname=/root/dir/syslog/urname1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble reading content of file from a variable

Hi , i have a parameter which has path of a file. Now i need to have another parameter with the content of that file. I tried the belwo script , can any one please help. I dont want to use cat command to read. Can we do it with out using cat command. while read line do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
9 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD