Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Question about HACMP for active-active mode Post 302365740 by zxmaus on Wednesday 28th of October 2009 02:00:27 AM
Old 10-28-2009
Hi,

there is Sybase Cluster Edition that works similar to Oracle RAC.
In addition there are a lot of Vendor applications out there that have built in ha-facilities and can run / should run in a concurrent resource group - not for availability - but for load balancing reasons. And here the cluster facilities are not used for the applications themselves but for the infrastructure that points to the application. If one node goes down, the service IP just starts pointing to the other node - the application - though down on the previous node - remains available. Great solution for any kind of application that doesnt produce volatile data at all.
We have several clusters where Websphere and MQ are running active on both nodes - serving different functions - and again failover to the other node when required - serving different clients, different applications - and yes we want different instances of the same application being up on one node if the other node dies.
We have as well lots of sybase databases in a hacmp setup that have the same content but serve different purposes. Sybase replication server replicates the content of database 1 into database 2. As long as both nodes are up, database 1 is used for trading, database 2 for reporting - when one of the nodes dies, it fails over to the other node - replication remains running - and you still can use both databases for these different purposes - nothing in the listeners, pointer files or anything has to change because the IP of the application doesn't change ... and additional resources are just added via dlpar scripts if required - so nothing is starving ...
Possibilities are countless and so are the benefits of having live-live clusters Smilie

Kind regards
zxmaus

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Active / Non Active users ?

Hey, I have few Questions : 1. How to Check/Find who all are the users accessing the server using their id ? 2. How to Check who is the active user or non active user (whose id exists but the access privileges has been removed) ? I am presently using AIX5.3 as a server. Please suggest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

active working

hi! i want to create a list of the active working of the system classified by size and run the list on the monitor in a contolled pattern.Every active work has to appear only once. Any suggestions? also how can i create a list of the active working that does not belong to the user root?thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: battaglia
5 Replies

3. AIX

AIX HACMP Active/Passive Config

I have a HACMP 6.1 configured in a active/passive. I have 1 NIC with 3 IP address on (Boot, Persistent and Service ) . All address are routable. One of the application on the HA cluster is also using Boot Ip to send application data. Question : Since all the traffic is passing thru the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Link based Active Active IPMP

Hi, I need to configure 4 ip address (same subnet and mask) in one ipmp group (two interfaces) in an active active formation (link based). Can some one provide the steps or a tutorial link. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Port Active?

Hi, I have recently installed autosys R11 on my a container in solaris 10. the container has solaris 10. I am now trying to configure the autosys workload contol center on a windows VM. but i can not get the contol center to log into the the autosys server. when i try to estiblish a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
4 Replies

6. Linux

active mode ftp connection from linux

Hi, We have one java client which connects to a windows server through ftp in active mode and gets files. When we run this client on hp-ux, it is able to transfer 100k files. But when we run the same client on Linux server it is able to transfer only 200 files at max and it is hanging there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urspradeep330
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I calculate total number of active and non active hosts?

#!/bin/bash for digit in $(seq 1 10) do if ping -c1 -w2 192.168.1.$digit &> /dev/null then echo "192.168.1.$digit is UP" else echo "192.168.1.$digit is DOWN" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
3 Replies

8. Solaris

VCS not active

Dear All, My current system run Solaris 9 SPARC 64 bit , and VXVM , VCS 4.1. I check all the node information . ls -l /etc/vx/*.exclude /etc/vx/*.exclude: No such file or directory root@devuardbs01 # vxdctl license All features are available: Mirroring Root Mirroring Concatenation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
0 Replies
MOD-ACTIVE(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						     MOD-ACTIVE(8)

NAME
mod-active - Batch processing of newsgroups creation and removal commands SYNOPSIS
mod-active [ctlinnd-command-file ...] DESCRIPTION
mod-active is a Perl script that updates the active file based on its input lines of ctlinnd "newgroup", "rmgroup" and "changegroup" commands. It pauses the server briefly while the existing active file is read and rewritten, which not only keeps innd from updating the active file but also locks against other instances of mod-active. The script must be run as the news user. The input to mod-active can come either from one or more ctlinnd-command-file files named on the command line, or from the standard input. Typically its input is the output from the docheckgroups or actsync commands. Every line which contains the string "ctlinnd newgroup", "ctlinnd rmgroup", or "ctlinnd changegroup", optionally preceded by whitespace and/or the path to ctlinnd, is noted for the update. Redundant commands, such as a newgroup directive for a group that already exists, are silently ignored. All other lines in the input are also silently ignored. After the new active file has been generated, the existing one is renamed to active.old and the new one is moved into place. The script then displays the differences between the two files. Any groups that were added to the active file are also added to the active.times file with the string "checkgroups-update". Please note that no syntax checking is performed on group names by mod-active. BUGS
Though innd is paused while mod-active works, it is not inconceivable that there could be a conflict if something else tries to update the active file during the relatively short time that mod-active is working. The two most realistic ways for this to happen are either by an administrator concurrently doing a manual ctlinnd command, or by innd receiving a control message, then mod-active pausing the server, then the control message handler script that innd forked running its own ctlinnd command while mod-active is working. Note that such scenarios are very unlikely to happen. HISTORY
Written by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. SEE ALSO
active(5), active.times(5), actsync(8), ctlinnd(8), docheckgroups(8), innd(8). INN 2.5.3 2011-06-10 MOD-ACTIVE(8)