Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping Special characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping Special characters Post 302365361 by Scott on Monday 26th of October 2009 05:55:03 PM
Old 10-26-2009
Not when they're enclosed in double quotes. The opposite isn't true.

Code:
A=" '1 2 3' "

echo "$A"
'1 2 3'

A=' "1 2 3" '
echo $A
"1 2 3"

echo '$A'
$A

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special Characters-Help

Hi All, I am having a trouble in passing special characters to a script. As I am new to bash script I dont know how to go and solve this. mypwd=(a+sdfg!h# if i pass $mypwd to a bash script, it is not accepting "(,!,+ etc". It would be a great help if some one can help to escape these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with escaping xml characters in a file

Hi, I have a file xy.csv with the following data separated by pipe (|): BC-NACO|12>ISA43<TEST| A & A INC|FAMOUS'S AL| i need to escape the xml characters as below BC-NACO|12&gt;ISA43&lt;TEST| A &amp; A INC|FAMOUS&apos;S AL| Please advise (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannarajesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping special characters

I'm attempting a little hack to get grep to highlight (change foreground color to red) a found string. Assuming a target file "test" consisting of the word "albert": My executable "algrep" consists of this: grep $1 $2 | sed "s/$1/\\\033 And when run: algrep al test Produces this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies
BOOLVAL(3)								 1								BOOLVAL(3)

boolval - Get the boolean value of a variable

SYNOPSIS
boolean boolval (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Returns the boolean value of $var. PARAMETERS
o $var - The scalar value being converted to a boolean. RETURN VALUES
The boolean value of $var. EXAMPLES
Example #1 boolval(3) examples <?php echo '0: '.(boolval(0) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '42: '.(boolval(42) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '0.0: '.(boolval(0.0) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '4.2: '.(boolval(4.2) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"": '.(boolval("") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"string": '.(boolval("string") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"0": '.(boolval("0") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"1": '.(boolval("1") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '[1, 2]: '.(boolval([1, 2]) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '[]: '.(boolval([]) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo 'stdClass: '.(boolval(new stdClass) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; ?> The above example will output: 0: false 42: true 0.0: false 4.2: true "": false "string": true "0": false "1": true [1, 2]: true []: false stdClass: true SEE ALSO
floatval(3), intval(3), strval(3), settype(3), is_bool(3), Type juggling. PHP Documentation Group BOOLVAL(3)