Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use of alloca function
Top Forums Programming Use of alloca function Post 302365234 by Corona688 on Monday 26th of October 2009 11:41:00 AM
Old 10-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
Use of alloca is discouraged because it is system dependent...
How system dependent? Linux has it, Windows has it, IRIX has it, Solaris has it, BSD has it, OSX has it, HPUX seems to have it... The only platform I can think of offhand that I can't verify is AIX, and that's a "maybe", not a "no". It seems too useful, even internally, for vendors to not implement... I will admit that some embedded platforms implement it badly(a severe error on systems with no malloc!), allowing alloca'd memory to be overwritten by further function calls, but I'm not aware of an embedded platform with threading. I suspect the kind of stack management needed for threading also lets alloca exist.
Quote:
also the memory returned cant be passed to other functions since it is freed as soon as the function that calls alloca exits.
You can certainly pass it to other functions if you keep in mind its scope, the exact same way you can pass references to stack variables if you keep in mind their scope. For a thread, it will be valid as long as the thread exists.
Quote:
With alloca portability is the biggest concern if developing apps for different platforms.
Please note any platforms you know of that don't have alloca.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-26-2009 at 12:53 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a value from called function to the calling function

I have two scripts. script1.sh looks -------------------------------- #!/bin/bash display() { echo "Welcome to Unix" } display ----------------------------- Script2.sh #!/bin/bash sh script1.sh //simply calling script1.sh ------------------------------ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL SCRIPT Function Calling Another Function Please Help...

This is my function which is creating three variables based on counter & writing these variable to database by calling another function writeRecord but only one record is getting wrote in DB.... Please advise ASAP...:confused: function InsertFtg { FTGSTR="" echo "Saurabh is GREAT $#" let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.sonawane
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass function as argument to a function

I have the following code : function1 () { print "January" } function2() { case $1 in January) print "Dzisiaj mamy styczen" ;; *) ;; } main() { (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

5. Programming

How to step in one function after the function be executed in gdb?

In gdb, I can call one function with command "call", but how can I step in the function? I don't want to restart the program, but the function had been executed, gdb will execute next statement, and I don't know how to recall the function. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Modify File Name in each function before calling another function.

I have a script which does gunzip, zip and untar. Input to the script is file name and file directory (where file is located) I am reading the input parameters as follows: FILENAME=$1 FILEDIR=$2 I have created 3 functions that are as follows: 1) gunzip file 2) unzip file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will files, creaetd in one function of the same script will be recognized in another function?

Dear All. I have a script, which process files one by one. In the script I have two functions. one sftp files to different server the other from existing file create file with different name. My question is: Will sftp function recognize files names , which are created in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on awk for printing the function name inside each function

Hi, I am having script which contains many functions. Need to print each function name at the starting of the function. Like below, functionname() { echo "functionname" commands.... } I've tried like below, func=`grep "()" scriptname | cut -d "(" -f1` for i in $func do nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variable from one function to another function?

updateEnvironmentField() { linewithoutquotes=`echo $LINE | tr -d '"'` b() } I want to pass variable named $linewithoutquotes to another method called b(), which is called from updateEnvironmentField() method. How to do the above requirement with shell script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pottic
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
ALLOCA(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 ALLOCA(3)

NAME
alloca -- memory allocator LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void * alloca(size_t size); DESCRIPTION
The alloca() function allocates size bytes of space in the stack frame of the caller. This temporary space is automatically freed on return. RETURN VALUES
The alloca() function returns a pointer to the beginning of the allocated space. SEE ALSO
brk(2), calloc(3), getpagesize(3), malloc(3), realloc(3) HISTORY
The alloca() function appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The alloca() function is machine and compiler dependent; its use is discouraged. The alloca() function is slightly unsafe because it cannot ensure that the pointer returned points to a valid and usable block of memory. The allocation made may exceed the bounds of the stack, or even go further into other objects in memory, and alloca() cannot determine such an error. Avoid alloca() with large unbounded allocations. BSD
September 5, 2006 BSD