Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check for file existence using wildcards Post 302365216 by phudgens on Monday 26th of October 2009 10:19:50 AM
Old 10-26-2009
Check for file existence using wildcards

Thanks for the reply. This is not the first time that someone has suggested that I not use C Shell coding for my scripts. The problem is that all of my users log in to, and launch their programs from, the C Shell. I really have no choice but to write my scripts for that shell.

For the present, I'm not going to worry about whether a directory is readable or not. I'm assuming that none of my users are sufficiently UNIX savvy to know how to create a directory that is not readable.

Thanks again for all the help and input.

Paul H.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh to check for existence of file

Hi, I would like to check the existence of files (doesn;t matter the number of files) in a directory. My file is named in the following manner (always ending with " myfile "). Can anybody give me some guidance? EG: abc1_myfile sdfr_myfile sffgd_myfile and so on ...... My... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

2. AIX

how to check the existence of a file during ftp using korn shell?

i can able to transfer a file from build server(AIX)to webserver using ksh through ftp.my query is to check the existence of file while transfering from one server to other .i.e i need some command or script that checks the existence of file with same name in both server,within ftp syntax. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

3. AIX

how to check the existence of a file using korn shell?

we have tranferred an ear from local server to remote server using ftp.consider, we have an ear file named a.ear in remote server,again if we transfer the same file named a.ear from local server to remote server.we need the kshell to check the existence of the ear file in remote server,and if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
3 Replies

4. AIX

check for file existence

Hello I am having a requirement like if there is no file in the directory then i need a message to pop on after the execution of the script. My script basically does for File in `ls -t $DIRECTORY | tail -1`; if there is no file the DIRECTORY then the script is simply exiting with out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

5. AIX

Check for File Existence

I have requirement where i need to search for files which start with SALESORDER and PURCHASEORDER. i need to process the files with SALESORDER first and then PURCHASEORDER. If SALESORDER files are not there i dont want to process PURCHASEORDER and i want to come out of script. I have written a code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for file existence?

i want to check if the file is in the directory or not, and also it should be handle error conditions, like missing files and report the error and exit. i did something like this: file ="hello" if !test -e "${file}" then echo "No such files exist!" exit 1 else do something....... fi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingming88
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for existence of file (or else sleep for x time)

Hi Forum. I have a script that accepts 3 input parameters (source directory, list file text, sleep time) and checks for the presence of files. If not there, script goes to sleep for certain amount of time provided by 3rd input. list file text contains 1 entry but may contain more (file... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to check existence of file name which has regex

Hi All. Pls help me with the command to check existence of files (I'll mention name of the file as regex) and proceed with my further processing if atleast one of them exists in detail, I've a dir /tmp/TURP, which may or may not have files named with "exter*.txt" I need to check and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skpvalvekar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To check for existence of a file

I need to check for the existence of a file *.log in a specific directory using a perl script. Presently am not in that particular directory. So i am using chdir ("/path/to/my/file) And then i am using the -e in an if statement to check if it exists. if (-e $File) {......} $File contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manutd
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence check

hi i wanted to check if the file exist or not(multiple files) DIRE=/home/V478 if ; then echo "file present" else echo "file not present" fi But i am getting the error as : [: unexpected operator/operand (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)