Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Unix Admin, need a bit of career advise Post 302364983 by Perderabo on Sunday 25th of October 2009 01:35:05 AM
Old 10-25-2009
It looks to me like your crisis is self-manufactured. You have several choices and you should be thankful that you do. Now decide which you want.

I can't tell you what is right for you, but I know what is right for me. I always pick the job where I can learn the most. I give very little weight to the salary and I have switched jobs into a lower paying job several times. I have never regretted it. I figure that whoever dies with the most knowledge wins! I might even be able to take my knowledge with me. And yes, I'm sure that the computers in Heaven must be running some form of Unix. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dos background to unix admin.... any advise?/

is it possible to see what is in a dds tape? like in dos, we can write dir a: to see the contents of it? thanks PS : actually, i came from a DOS background. so most of the time, i will try to relate unix to dos. of course, dos never came close to unix. but unix is like many instances of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

career as a unix admin and new graduate

Hello all, Im about to graduate with a degree in computer science. I think i've found my 'niche' in unix and would like to take it up as a career. I hope you dont mind answering a few questions. How hard is it to get the foot in the door? Whats the best way to get the foot in the door? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stride6
5 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Career Advise: Part 2

I am a windows server guy. Trust me, I know the limitations and arrogance of Microsoft as well as anyone. I just keep the servers running, I don't write the code. Just accepted a new job with a company that is mostly a UNIX shop for the vast majority of business applications. That is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philwithbeard
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migrating unix mp-ras 32 bit to linux suse 64 bit

Hi. I need to migrate the whole unix environment from a Unix mp-ras 32 bit to a Linux Suse 64 bit. 1) can i use cpio to copy the data? 2) can i just copy the users from unix to linux or do i have to create them by hand 3) are there any other concerns i should worry about? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

i want to enjoy and rock my career as linux admin

hello i want to build my career as linux admin.I have completed my Engineering and had one month training on LINUX ADMIN course.I am doing well now in basics.Kindly provide suggetions or advice or books etc etc so that it will enhance my knowledge in linux Redhat. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dillipkmrpadhy
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path for Admin

Hello, Just wanted to have a suggestion on UNIX carrier path and I couldn't found any proper forum/blog where I can put this question better than this one. I have been working on Solaris from past 13 years and some years on Linux. It was completely on Admin side and never on development or... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
12 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Need career advise as UNIX adminstrator

I have been working in application support at last 2 years. But I want to become unix administrator and I have basic knowledge in unix command, VI Editors, Unix file system. But I don't know proper procedure to become unix administrator, so could you please give suggestion and advise where I start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal88
4 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need advice for my career growth being solaris/linux admin

Hi All, I am having 5+ years total unix admin exp in india (5years solarisadminand 2+ years on linuxadmin).Please advice me which technology I need to learn for my career growth and salary growth. Is it good to go for EMC SAN storage or vmware for higher packages. Please advice me or I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolarisLinux123
4 Replies
disown(1)							   User Commands							 disown(1)

NAME
disown - ksh93 built-in function to disassociate a job with the current shell SYNOPSIS
disown [job ...] DESCRIPTION
The ksh93 disown command prevents the current shell from sending a HUP signal to each of the specified jobs when the current shell termi- nates a login session. If job is omitted, disown sends the HUP signal to the most recently started or stopped background job. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: job Specifies the job or jobs on which disown operates. Specify job as one of the following: number Refers to a process ID. -number Refers to a process group ID. %number Refers to a job number. %string Refers to a job whose name begins with string. %?string Refers to a job whose name contains string. %+ or %% Refers to the current job. %- Refers to the previous job. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 One or more specified jobs does not exist. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Disowning a Job The following example disowns job 1: example% disown %1 AUTHORS
David Korn, dgk@research.att.com ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bg(1), jobs(1), ksh93(1), wait(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 18 Apr 2007 disown(1)