Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving files between directories using SFTP Post 302364857 by jgt on Saturday 24th of October 2009 08:25:53 AM
Old 10-24-2009
Presumably you are collecting data from one machine to process on another, and then wanting to delete the files on the remote machine to prevent their being processed the next time.
We have done this using a script like the following:
Code:
if [ ! -r ftp.input.data ]
then
   echo "ascii" > ftp.input.data
fi
echo "mget * >>ftp.input.data
cd newfiles
ftp ftp.com <ftp.input.data
cd ..
echo "ascii" >ftp.input.data
list=`ls newfiles`
for file in $list
do
process_file
mv newfiles/$file done
echo  del $file >>ftp.input.data
done

The syntax for sftp is slightly different, but you should get the idea

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files between directories !!

hi i have a list of directory in a text file with all directories name in a column.(this is not exactly a file but i need to do a grep and awk on a file to find that list) i have the source folders like abchome/abc/xxyz/nl_xxabc/mm// v01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files to different directories

im trying to move media and other files which are in a specified directory to another directory and create another one if it does not exits(where the files will go),them also create a directory will the remaining files with different extensions will go.my first problem is that my script is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Directories with Files from One Server to Other using sftp

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to connect to another server and copy directories from one server to another Directories on the Source server look like below (YYYY-MM-DD- 1 to 23) drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart 422 Sep 1 23:45 2014-09-01-18drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with moving files on remote server using sftp

I need to sftp a file ABC_sysdate.csv (File name with system date and timestamp) to a temporary directory on the remote server and once the file is copied I've to move the file from temporary directory to the main directory with the same name. I have to generate a new file every hour and repeat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinup
6 Replies
Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat(3pm) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat(3pm)

NAME
Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat - Adaptor for Net::SFTP compatibility SYNOPSIS
use Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat; my $sftp = Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat->new($host); $sftp->get("foo", "bar"); $sftp->put("bar", "baz"); use Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat ':supplant'; my $sftp = Net::SFTP->new($host); DESCRIPTION
This package is a wrapper around Net::SFTP::Foreign that provides an API (mostly) compatible with that of Net::SFTP. Methods on this package are identical to those in Net::SFTP except that Net::SFTP::Foreign::Attributes::Compat objects have to be used instead of Net::SFTP::Attributes. If the ":supplant" tag is used, this module installs also wrappers on the "Net::SFTP" and Net::SFTP::Attributes packages so no other parts of the program have to modified in order to move from Net::SFTP to Net::SFTP::Foreign. Setting defaults The hash %Net::SFTP::Foreign::DEFAULTS can be used to set default values for Net::SFTP::Foreign methods called under the hood and otherwise not accesible through the Net::SFTP API. The entries currently supported are: new => @opts extra options passed to Net::SFTP::Foreign constructor. get => @opts extra options passed to Net::SFTP::Foreign::get method. put => @opts extra options passed to Net::SFTP::Foreign::put method. ls => @opts extra options passed to Net::SFTP::Foreign::ls method. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2008, 2011 Salvador Fandin~o All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-04 Net::SFTP::Foreign::Compat(3pm)