Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cron job issue..i hav read the basic threads already... Post 302364800 by jp2542a on Saturday 24th of October 2009 02:17:53 AM
Old 10-24-2009
Do a

Code:
man -s 5 crontab

It will give you the meaning of the vars and show examples of a crontab using them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with cron job

Hi, I have a script which I am able to run from command line. When I put this in cron, it fails and gives the following message: ld.so.1: /d00/documentum/product/5.2.5/bin/dmbasic: fatal: libdmcl40.so: open failed: No such file or directory The ksh script looks like this: # Set this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nattynatty
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with cron job -Please help

Hi , I have an issue with cron job that i have scheduled today. The problem is that when i run this script in command prompt it work good giving me the desired results but if i schedule this to run using cron job it failes giving a "syntax error in line 11 :$"..... Can anyone look into this and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
6 Replies

3. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job issue

This is regarding my cron job. My cron entry 30 * * * 1-5,0 /work1/informix/sample/script1.sh 31 * * * 1-5,0 /work1/informix/sample/script2.sh Every 30 mins script1.sh is run. (mon thru friday and sunday) Every 30 mins script2.sh is run. (mon thru friday and sunday) This is based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job issue

Hi , I want to run script every minute so i added . cron entry as below usning crontab -e looks like */1 * * * * sh /home/sai/http_sim/http_start.sh but cron job is not running ? any way to start the cron or something ? Thanks, Raghavendra (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.nsn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with svn update using cron job.

I want to update svn code using a nightly job using cron, i have created a job in cron as, 30 17-19 * * 1-5 /home/saprab/svnUpdate.sh <branch> <svnusername> <svnpassword> >> <logfile> 2>&1 svnUpdate.sh : =============== #!/bin/bash branch=$1 svnuser=$2 svnpass=$3 cd ${branch}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavesh.sapra
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cron Job Issue

Dear Members Seeking you help on my issue. this script need to run on every end of month.i configured as below. but it runs everyday. why 0 9 28-31 * * ] && /usr/bin/bash /u01///scripts/e.sh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ded325
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cron Job Issue

My Friends I want to run a script only at the end of month.but i tried below cront entry its not working. pls help 0 9 28-31 ] && /usr/bin/bash /u01/app/scripts/CX-eom.shOs Details: AIX 7.1.0.0 Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ded325
5 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)