Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris difference between flash archive and jumpstart Post 302364633 by incredible on Friday 23rd of October 2009 02:43:59 PM
Old 10-23-2009
flash archives are good to clone the OS image to many systems at one go. installation just takes less than 15 mins.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

3. Solaris

things to include in a flash archive

I am making a flash archive to use as a base to lay down on all incoming servers. I am wondering about Sun Explorer and Sun CST. Is it ok to install these (but not configure them) on my source machine and create the archive? Im just not sure if it would cause problems down the line, like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. Solaris

web flash archive installation

I am trying to install Solaris 9 on our sun fire 280R using web start flash archive. The master system is a Sun fire v480 and has it root file system mirrored using Sun's disk suite. Both “Machine A” and “Machine B” have the same number of disks and of the same size The flash archive was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hassan1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flash Archive Retrival Method

Need a little help figuring out how to restore a .flar image using the Flash Archive Retrival Method. I am using Solaris 8 on a Sun V240. I boot the system using the Solaris 8 disk 1of2 and provide the necessary information asked. When the screen gets to the Flash Archive Retrival Method screen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
2 Replies

6. Solaris

creat flash archive

I want take a flash backup by flar command for specific files like: / , /boot, /tmp I am trying this command but its not working # flar -n archive1 -f /,/boot,/tmp -F -c /home/arc1.flar Please can any body help me __.____._ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmuqalled
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Flash installation with Jumpstart

I get following error while doing a flash installation. I 'm trying to deploy a flash archive created by our engineering team. I 'm trying to install it with ZFS root and the profile which i using is as following #more flash_profile_test install_type flash_install archive_location nfs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Flash archive with VxVM

I'm writing a design doc and I got this feedback. "Apparently flash archives have issues with VXVM root F/S's - May also impact licensing for “kick” systems. SVM may be more sensible / flexible option" The VxVM will be use global zones. i intend on using flash archives of solaris 8/9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustin
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Jumpstart client flash archive error....

Hi , I am facing this issue while restoring flash archive from jumpstart server.The image was aroung 9 gb (5.9 release) and we have restored the other images successfully bigger than this size to other machines we have never faced this issue .Please advice me on this issue . Extracted 100 %... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: knl.sundeep
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Flash Archive Jumpstart with multiple ZFS Pools

Hi, I'm trying to get a Flash Archive Jumpstart Running with ZFS Filesystem. For Testing I set up a VirtualBox VM with 2 Disks attached. On the first disk I have the ZFS root pool, on the second Disk I have some more ZFS Pools which I use for 2 additional Zones I've set up. Restoring works fine if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NoelzeN
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)