Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat and output filename
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat and output filename Post 302364201 by Timmää on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 09:45:16 AM
Old 10-22-2009
cat and output filename

Hi,

how I can display a file with cat and printing the filename before each line.

e.g.
Code:
file1 {
one 
two 
three 
four 
five
}

Output:
Code:
file1:one
file2:two
file1:three
file1:four
file1:five

THANKS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix cat gives no output

hi, i searched the forum, but found no thread relate to this; so sorry if it's duplicated. I'm using unix cat command but it gives no output. I check permission, owner and group; all of which are OK. I could do less and vi. any suggestions? thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: notvwatcher
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file and parse output

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting and did a search on the forum to what I want to do but couldn't find anything. I have about 9 routers that outputs to 1 syslog file daily named cisco.year.mo.date.log ex: cisco.2009.05.11.log My goal is to make a parsing script that cats today's syslog... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjrambar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat files from subdirectories output using same filename

Hi, I need to concatenate data files with a .mp extension that are stored in directories by year. I want to keep the same filename as an output for example: for the file name p030.mp, which resides in the following subdirectories: /2000/p030.mp /2001/p030.mp /2002/p030.mp I want to:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmshreve
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

inconsistent cat output

Hi I'm executing a menu script in which I `cat a file` but it's giving different output some times. Following is the code fragment taken from my script. while true do cat procs.configured echo ---------separator-------------- sleep 3 done when I execute this code fragment, `cat` outputs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat piped output

Hello, How can I efficiently cat piped output with another file? > (awk command) | cat file1 (piped output) Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively cat files in a directory with filename printed first.

I want to recursively cat the content of files in a directory e.g. find /etc -type f -exec cat {} \; But I want it to print the file name first and then the content. For example let's say /etc/statetab and /etc/colord.conf will be printed first then I want the output to look something like; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat writing only one record in the output file

Hi All, I have an input file containing data as below: Input.DAT XXXXXXX|YYYYYYY|ZZZZZZZZZZ|12334446456|B|YY|111111111|111111111|111111111|111111111|15|3|NNNNNN|Y|3|AAA|111111111... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar.cumar
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting output from a file similar to cat output

I have a file # cat /root/llll 11 22 33 44 When I cat this file content to a variable inside a shell script and echo that shell script, it does not show up as separate lines. I need echo output similar to cat. cat /root/shell_script.sh #!/bin/bash var=`cat /root/llll` echo $var (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files containing string not following symlinks CAT (modified) output content to /filename

This should recursively walk through all dirictories and search for a specified string in all present files, if found output manicured content (eg some regex) with CAT into a specified directory (eg /tmp/) one by one, keeping the original names This is what I have so far, which seems to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
1 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported com- pression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZDIFF(1)