Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ^M in yank but not in file in Vim Post 302364121 by zaxxon on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 06:54:06 AM
Old 10-22-2009
Do you use vim/gvim on windows as editor when doing this or via a terminal session, let's say putty? I guess it is either a setting in gvim or putty if you are sure the file is clear of ^M.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

yank

This is supposed to be simple to do but I am having a hard time trying to yank 1 line (yy) but creating from it 100 lines. I can do yy then keep hitting . to repeat but it doesn't make sense. I may want to create 1000 lines from the one liner. yy then 99 p doesn't work.... Thanks. I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

annoying vi yank word + delete all question

Hello when i try to yank word only that looks like this "$$foo$" when i stand with my curser marker on the first char ($) and do in vi : "yw" (yank word) its yanks me only the "$" char when i stand white my curser on "f" its yank's me only "foo" how can i yank all word no matter what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yank a column in vi

I have a file which has data in columns. Is there a way to yank columns in vi? I tried searching in this forum. I did not find it. Please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevelrf
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continuously display the file name in vim

Hi All, In vim, when we press ^G, the file name is displayed at the bottom of the screen and as soon as we enter into some other mode (say e.g. Insert), the file name is replaced by the words "Insert". I was just wondering whether it is possible to continuously show the file name no matter which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yank versus control-insert formatting differences?

Hello! Graduate student thrown to the sharks of unix and fortran77 here. My basic question is this: what exactly is the difference between yank (ie "*yG for the whole file and "*p in a new file) and control-insert / shift-insert with respect to text formatting? One is vi and one is Windows,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshlight
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM E212: Cannot save a new file

Hey everyone, I'm new to Linux and am attempting to run a TF2 server on a CentOS VPS (terminal only). I followed this guide (link below) and have arrived on step 4, creating a configuration file. When I try to save the new file however, I get the E212: Can't open file for writing error.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rGSyn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with update vim file-syntax relationship?

There are some ksh files named as "*.lib" in my system. When I open them in VIM, vim syntax can't parse it correctly. Is there a way that I can relate the *.lib with KSH syntax in VIM? Due to access limitation, i can only update the files under my home directory and can't modify the VIM... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to set password for file using vim in Linux/redhat?

Hello All, I have one query is "How to set the password for file using vi utility in linux. Please reply to my queries. I am waiting for reply. Thanks in advance. Thanks. Kuddus Shaikh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuddusrhce
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut first column from file in Vi(Vim)

I have a parts file that looks like this: EE36264|0NH46||Y|A|EA|0|0|0|N|LUNETTE 3" ADJ. EYE|0|0|*|0|PEOZZU|N|12|N|N|VPS|N|N|N|N|LUNETTE 3" ADJ. EYE|0|||Receive into Inventory|81755|EE36264|*|*|*|0|0||EE36264|A|*|* F1.5|53932||Y|A|EA|0|0|0|N|FLAT ZERO CAL... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
4 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim62/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)