Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursive Permissions???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursive Permissions??? Post 302364019 by the_red_dove on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 11:15:38 PM
Old 10-22-2009
@ghostdog74: I am teaching myself. I screwed up something while installing....the man pages are not working properly!! I don't have net access either to google it Smilie

@BeJay: I deserve a kick in the a#*. I used -r, didn't think of the CASE.

Thanks guys!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive GREP ?

Hi! Suppose I have a directory (no symbolic links) called /WORK that contains 3 subdirectories: /A /B /C My problem is this: I want to look for a file that contains an order number. So far, I obtain what I want by doing this /home/acb% cd /WORK/A /home/acb/WORK/A% grep '093023553' *.*... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

2. Programming

recursive function

Hi everyone, i need your input on this. We can express a function recursivly like this A(n) = (2 n = 0 5 n = 1 A(n − 1) + A(n − 2) % 47 n > 1 How would i go about constructing a recursive function for this?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Recursive SFTP

Hello, I need to transfer files from Serve1 to Server2. Previously I was using scp command. Now I have to use sftp (due to audit issues). The problem with sftp is (atleast to my level of knowledge) we cannot transfer dirs (and files within that dir). Is there a way to solve this? Looks like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MohanTJ
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive Concatenation

Hi, I have a problem with concatenation text files. I have a directory, say 'foo' Inside this folder, I have many sub folders, say 'oof1, oof2 .... oof20' Each oof directory has a number of text files inside it. I need to concatenate all the text files in oof directories within foo...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kerensa@unsw.ed
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive wc on a directory?

Hi all, I need to count the number of lines in all the files under a directory (several levels deep). I am feeling extremely dumb, but I don't know how to do that. Needless to say, I am not a shell script wiz... Any advice? thanks in advance! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bimba17
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive List File Permissions

How can I recursively list file permission including all subdirectories and save the result to a file. I also want to exclude certain file type. All I need is the UID and GID of each of the files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelseyh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive List File Permissions

How can I recursively list file permission including all subdirectories and save the result to a file. I also want to exclude certain file type such as *.log. All I need is the UID and GID of each of the files/folders output to a text file. Any ideas, any help very much apperciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelseyh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with recursive command

Hi, I need help with recursive function. This is not a part of any homework or classroom related. I am trying to learn unix and working on a question posted on site. basically i have to create a script which does what rm -r does. my code so far: 1 #!/bin/bash 2 3 function recursive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluebird13
2 Replies
DH_INSTALLMANPAGES(1)						     Debhelper						     DH_INSTALLMANPAGES(1)

NAME
dh_installmanpages - old-style man page installer (deprecated) SYNOPSIS
dh_installmanpages [debhelperoptions] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_installmanpages is a debhelper program that is responsible for automatically installing man pages into usr/share/man/ in package build directories. This is a DWIM-style program, with an interface unlike the rest of debhelper. It is deprecated, and you are encouraged to use dh_installman(1) instead. dh_installmanpages scans the current directory and all subdirectories for filenames that look like man pages. (Note that only real files are looked at; symlinks are ignored.) It uses file(1) to verify that the files are in the correct format. Then, based on the files' extensions, it installs them into the correct man directory. All filenames specified as parameters will be skipped by dh_installmanpages. This is useful if by default it installs some man pages that you do not want to be installed. After the man page installation step, dh_installmanpages will check to see if any of the man pages are .so links. If so, it changes them to symlinks. OPTIONS
file ... Do not install these files as man pages, even if they look like valid man pages. BUGS
dh_installmanpages will install the man pages it finds into all packages you tell it to act on, since it can't tell what package the man pages belong in. This is almost never what you really want (use -p to work around this, or use the much better dh_installman(1) program instead). Files ending in .man will be ignored. Files specified as parameters that contain spaces in their filenames will not be processed properly. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLMANPAGES(1)