Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to know what time one user was created? Post 302364001 by rveri on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 09:36:03 PM
Old 10-21-2009
Unix systems do not keep the user creation timestamp logs, nor linux keeps the log.
However if the user has not logged in yet ( can be check with finger) you can look at the ~user/.bash_profile or ~user/.bash_history files timestamp to figure it out the time the user was created.
Also if no other user created after creation of that user, you can look at the timestamp of the password file (ls -l /etc/passwd) it will show the timestamp when the last user was created.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I create user but i cant login the user i created.

I created a user, i login as a root. I add him in the group where he can access and login as a root! I checked it in users' list and in group's list, he is there. My problem is this, I cant login using the username/account I just created! What should i do to use and login the user/account i've just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

query for a file created at a particular time

Hi guys I need to find out a file created at 'x' time and the name of the file is rag.rxt 100's of these files are created every minute and i dont know how to find the file created at a particular time. pls help me with the command to search that. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File created time

I have lot .log files in a directory.I need to take the one got created today.Is there any way to get the time of creation of a file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakyaj
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files created after a specified date/time

I need to write a script that copies files from one directory to another that were created after "today 6:30". This script will be NOT be ran at the same time each day. any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jm6601
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

change created and modification time if symbolic links

Hi, I am trying to duplicate a symbolic link, the new link should be the exact replica of the original one, with same file attributes, permissions, owner, group and even the time. i m successful in changing the owner and group, but when i try to change the time using utime, the time of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avanigadhai
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture time of File last created.

Hi .. I have a list of filenames in a particular file. All thse files get generated in the same directory. No w i want to find out which of thse got generated last and capture that time . Have written a while loop but seems getting struck ... while read line do if then rvst_capt_time=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move files based on filetype and time created?

Hi, I'm trying to improve my Unix skills and I'm wondering what is the best way to move some files based on filetype and attributes like time created? For instance, lets suppose I have a directory with many different files in it and I'd like to move all the jpgs that were created between May... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LuckyTommy
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files created on specific time

Hello Gurus, I am facing one issue to get a file for a specific time. There are about 300 files created between 6.30 pm to 7.15 pm everyday. Now I wanted only the file which is created on 6.45pm. No other files required. I have used "find" command to get the files, but not getting the expected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

At jobs - created date and time

Hi, I'm running atq for a user and its showing 2 'at' jobs in the queue to start at a later time. > atq Is there any way i can find out the creation date/time of these jobs? and ideally what job created them and what script(s) they are going to run? All i can see is the job number and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Segregate files based on the time they are created

Hi All, I have scenario where I need to zip huge number of DB audit log files newer than 90 days and delete anything older than that. If the files are too huge in number,zipping will take long time and causing CPU spikes. To avoid this I wanted to segregate files based on how old they are and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
2 Replies
PAM_TIMESTAMP(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_TIMESTAMP(8)

NAME
pam_timestamp - Authenticate using cached successful authentication attempts SYNOPSIS
pam_timestamp.so [timestamp_timeout=number] [verbose] [debug] DESCRIPTION
In a nutshell, pam_timestamp caches successful authentication attempts, and allows you to use a recent successful attempt as the basis for authentication. This is similar mechanism which is used in sudo. When an application opens a session using pam_timestamp, a timestamp file is created in the timestampdir directory for the user. When an application attempts to authenticate the user, a pam_timestamp will treat a sufficiently recent timestamp file as grounds for succeeding. OPTIONS
timestamp_timeout=number How long should pam_timestamp treat timestamp as valid after their last modification date (in seconds). Default is 300 seconds. verbose Attempt to inform the user when access is granted. debug Turns on debugging messages sent to syslog(3). MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth and session module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR The module was not able to retrieve the user name or no valid timestamp file was found. PAM_SUCCESS Everything was successful. PAM_SESSION_ERR Timestamp file could not be created or updated. NOTES
Users can get confused when they are not always asked for passwords when running a given program. Some users reflexively begin typing information before noticing that it is not being asked for. EXAMPLES
auth sufficient pam_timestamp.so verbose auth required pam_unix.so session required pam_unix.so session optional pam_timestamp.so FILES
/var/run/sudo/... timestamp files and directories SEE ALSO
pam_timestamp_check(8), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_timestamp was written by Nalin Dahyabhai. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_TIMESTAMP(8)