Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expr problem and other basic problems Post 302363910 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 02:44:12 PM
Old 10-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerqb
Code:
AVERAGETIME=`expr ($($RUNNING_TIME + $RUNNING_TIME1 + $RUNNING_TIME2 + $RUNNING_TIME3 + $RUNNING_TIME4)/5)`

There's no need for expr; use the shell:
Code:
AVERAGETIME=$(( ($RUNNING_TIME + $RUNNING_TIME1 + $RUNNING_TIME2 + $RUNNING_TIME3 + $RUNNING_TIME4)/5 ))

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with expr command

Hi All, I might be making a silly mistake but I need ur help. I have initialized various variables: cur_month=`date +%m` cur_year=`date +%y` last_year=`expr $cur_year \- 1` It works fine for cur_month & cur_year....but has problems with last_year. FOR LAST YEAR IT GIVES A FOLLOWING... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with expr

I'm writing a unix script that simply does some basic command line stuff for a whole lot of similar directories (ls *.dat > foo.bar). Its my first script ever, and its going ok, except I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get arithmetic to work in the script. FIVE=5 MY_NUMBER='expr... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr problem

Hi, in my ksh script expr 22 / 10 results as 2 but the actual result expected in 2.2. how do i get that result. Please help Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr problem

Hi, in my ksh script expr 22 / 10 results as 2 but the actual result expected in 2.2. how do i get that result. Please help Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with expr command

:) hi Unix gurus, Pls consider the following piece of code str='hello' length=echo $str|wc -c echo $length y= ` expr \( 80 - $length \) ` echo $y :confused: The last echo stmt is displaying 0 as the result. If i put direct value like 6 instead of $length in i 3rd stmt it is giving... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic problem

Hello Friends, I am learning Perl now. I have a small query. I have a directory Z with file name Z.txt. I would like to copy this file Z.txt to 3 new dir with new filenames as follows dir 1 1.txt dir 2 2.txt dir 3 3.txt I would like to then open 1.txt from dir 1 and edit the first... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh54
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr strange problem to me

Hi all, Please help me solve below issue. expr 04170000000 + 1 gives me -124967295 and offcourse I want this to be 04170000001 and it happens for some sort of number like some other 02300000000 02600000000 03800000000 I guess after exceeding certain range it is converting it somewhere... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revansing
2 Replies

8. Programming

Problems using Perl DBI to edit database entries - basic stuff

Hello. I am taking a Perl class in college and we've briefly covered SQL and moved on. We have a term project and we can do whatever we want. My project will rely strongly on an SQL Database so I am trying to learn as much about Perl DBI as I can to get things up and going. I am basically... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dave247
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic if statement problem

I am using the following code: if ; then I am getting an error saying line 12: The code is supposed to examine whether the filename read into $FILE includes the string IMG*. I do have a fi later in the script, but I must be missing something obvious. Can anyone help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bengel
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with expr command in shell script

Hi, I have used expr command to increment the date. for e.g., case 1 : echo $(date -d $(echo `expr 20010101 + 1`)) it returns Tue Jan 2 00:00:00 IST 2001 case 2: echo $(date -d $(echo `expr 20010101 - 1`)) it returns date: invalid date `20010100' please suggest me, how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
3 Replies
SIMPDUPABLEXPR(3)						   ABL FUNCTIONS						 SIMPDUPABLEXPR(3)

NAME
simpdupablexpr - duplicates and simplies an expression. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "abl101.h" chain_list *simpdupablexpr( Expr ) chain_list *Expr; PARAMETERS
Expr Expression to simplfy. DESCRIPTION
simpdupablexpr simplifies Expr. RETURN VALUE
simpdupablexpr returns a pointer to the simplied expression. EXAMPLE
#include "abl101.h" chain_list *Expr; chain_list *ExprSimp; Expr = createablbinexpr( ABL_AND, createablatom( "'0'" ), createablatom( "'1'" ) ); ExprSimp = simpdupablexpr( Expr ); /* displays ('0' and '1') '0' */ viewablexpr( Expr, ABL_VIEW_VHDL ); viewablexpr( ExprSimp, ABL_VIEW_VHDL ); SEE ALSO
abl(1), simpdupablexpr(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 SIMPDUPABLEXPR(3)