Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grepping log file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping log file Post 302363767 by x-plicit78 on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 11:13:24 AM
Old 10-21-2009
Thanks! I changed the pattern to a time range like and got a strange output :

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR && $2 ~ /15:44:13/,/15:44:14/ {a[$3]+=1; next} END{for(x in a){print x,"->",a[x]}}' access1.log

-> 2.4.24
 -> 1.4.17
 -> 1.4.8

The counting is done, but part of the ip vanished! Smilie

---------- Post updated at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:51 AM ----------

ok, sorry, i have it working, my file had more than one space between each scalar... Smilie

---------- Post updated at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:30 AM ----------

Hi again,

Is it possible to put this in a perl script or a shell unix script? This is powerfull, but it only works changing the ranges each time. Automation of the process would indeed optimize work! Having a file that could be run from the console, and according to its granularity, split the file and data into severel intervals and sub-files of 1 hour, or split the file and data into subfiles of days, or if bigger splitting into weeks. I look foward from hearing your advice...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping the first 3 characters from a file

Hi I was wondering if it's possible to use a command to get the first 3 characters of a line in a text file, I tried grep but it returns the whole line but I am only interested in the first 3 characters. Is this possible with grep or I need any other command? Also is it possible deleting from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping the first 3 characters from a file

give this a try and let me know if it works grep '^' filename rachael (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachael
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop and grepping into a file

I wrote this script for: 1. Get the Web log for today 2. Give me a list of all the IP addresses that have accessed the web server today 3. Remove a list of known IPs listed in a file (line by line) 4. Mail the final file to selected recipients. I am unable to do part 3. In the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping Errors in a file

Hey All, I have to grep for an error from a file and get the results of errror in a different file...... But there should be no duplicate entries. Can anyone help me in giving a shell script for this This is file which contains pattern error which I am supposed to grep and put this in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the last 30 minutes of a log file...

I need to know if anyone can assist me on how to grab the last (we'll just say "x" minutes) of a log file. How do you tell the grep command without specifying an exact window of time? (So relative instead of absolute.) Thanks, Jon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtelep
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping string from out file

Guys .. Need to pull this highlighted strings irrespective of line numbers & should be echoed . But these strings are from Outfile from different dir. In which way this can be grepped ?? Need an idea http-timeout 120 seconds persistent-timeout 180 seconds host-rewriting on ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping log files

I have a log file and I have two unique strings which represent the start and end of the text I want to obtain. How can I get all the text inbetween this start string and the end string? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file and returning passed variable if the value does not exist in file at all.

I have a list of fields that I want to check a file for, returning that field if it not found at all in the file. Is there a way to do a grep -lc and return the passed variable too rather then just the count? I am doing some crappy work-around now but I was not sure how to regrep this for :0 so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: personalt
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping only dates from a log file

Hi All, I have a log file where every line contains a date and some other data, i want to grep only the date from every line to a different file. Please help how to get this. Thanks in advance !! (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
25 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)