Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Crontab Error - creating zero byte log file Post 302363737 by pludi on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 07:56:45 AM
Old 10-21-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

---------- Post updated at 13:56 ---------- Previous update was at 13:55 ----------

Unless your script resides in /root, cron won't find it. Put it into the crontab using the absolute path and see if it works.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a shell script for creating a log file

I have a schell script that runs continously on an AIX system. It is actually started from another shell script with the "ksh -x" command and then I just write the output to a log file. This causes the log files to be filled with mostly useless information. I would like to modify this script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with creating new log file

Hello, The problem I am having now is... daily log file (xxxx.0228) exceeds it's max limit, stops logging and brings the daemon down. It won't start the daemon untill a new log file is created which happens at midnight. Once new daily log file starts, it brings up the daemon back up and starts... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: john89011
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab is not creating runtime files which are in script..

this is the output i am getting here.. cp: cannot create /wls_domains/eoigw/eoigwsA/deliv/cron/MailingScript/eoigwsA_Health_Status_Report.html: Permission denied /wls_domains/eoigw/eoigwsA/deliv/cron/MailingScript/ /wls_domains/eoigw/eoigwsA/deliv/cron/MailingScript/GenerateReport.sh:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: surekha268
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if 2 files are identical byte-to-byte?

In my server migration requirement, I need to compare if one file on old server is exactly the same as the corresponding file on the new server. For diff and comm, the inputs need to be sorted. But I do not want to disturb the content of the file and need to find byte-to-byte match. Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a byte(Last byte from the last line)

Hi All Can anyone please suggest me how to remove the last byte from a falt file .This is from the last line's last BYTE. Please suggest me something. Thank's and regards Vinay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to grep Job File name and Log File name from crontab -l

Hello, I am new to shell scripting. I need to write a shell script where i can grep the name of file ie. .sh file and log file from crontab -l. #51 18 * * * /home/oracle/refresh/refresh_ug634.sh > /home/oracle/refresh/refresh_ug634.sh.log 2>&1 #40 17 * * * /home/oracle/refresh/refresh_ux634.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guptra
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab not creating text file

while running the following code in ssh crontab, Its running successfully but its not creating text file IFC1.txt, file1.txt, file2.txt while running manually its working. please help me #!/bin/ksh hostname > file1.txt 2>/dev/null hostname >> file1.txt 2>/dev/null sudo df -h | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elango963
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Logfile Not Creating

I have a script file (fmlist.sh), i need the output of this script to write to a logfile (Mod_Alm_log.txt). If i execute the below manually it works, but when using in crontab the file is empty. cd /home/dreid12/als/Modernization && ./fmlist.sh > Mod_Alm_log.txt Any ideas? This is unix on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mytouchsr
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log file being not generated in crontab

My shell script it.sh #!/bin/sh ORACLE_HOME=/var/opt/oracle/product/10g; export ORACLE_HOME PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/bin:/usr/bin; export PATH today=`date "+%m-%d-%Y %H:%M:%S"`; export today CUR_DIR=$1; export CUR_DIR LOG_FILE=error.log; export LOG_FILE # Direct script output to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log file generation from crontab

Hi All, Like to enquire whether is it possible for me to append another log file(log2.lst) using my below crontab? I will need to have 2 log files generated; one to collect the daily appended output and another log file that contains only the daily output. Original Code: 00 01 * * *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowfrost88
2 Replies