Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bold Characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bold Characters Post 302363464 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 20th of October 2009 10:44:27 AM
Old 10-20-2009
In my opinion you should never embed control strings like "\e[1m" in your code or shell scripts. You are making
assumptions about the terminal which will be displaying the output. It is not portable and can lead to problems
on multi-byte codesets and legacy and specialized terminals.

If you want to be in complance with ISO 6429/ECMA-48, the correct control sequences are CSI SGR0 for default
output and CSI SGR1 for bold (increased intensity) output. See Section 8.3.117 (SGR - SELECT GRAPHIC
RENDITION) of either standard. In partical terms these translate to the terminfo capabilities "bold" for
bold and the capability "sgr0" for default.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold the paragraph

Hi, I have a file with multiple paragraph. I want to look for some word and make that paragraph bold. How can I do that? Thanks, Karthik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: caprikar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing in Bold

Hi, How do I print some shell variable in BOLD/ Thanks for any suggestions, Preeti (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetikate
10 Replies

3. Programming

Bold text

hello, how do i display the text in the printf statement in bold. or is there anyway to display the text on the console in bold thx in advance svh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

color,bold

hi friend , I am generating a csv file i,e output file E104|0|06/04/1994|The values E005 and E001 are not equal. E106|0|01/09/1993|The values E001 and E002 are not equal. E106|0|01/09/1993|The values E003 and E002 are not equal. E108|0|02/30/1995|The values R001 and E001 are not equal.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charandevu
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold characters in c shell

Hi, Can someone tell me how to display characters in Bold in C shell?? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangi13
9 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Bold characters in mail

I sh, I have bold characters in a file and I want to mail file to an ID. $cat file Incorrect or invalid external email IDs in TO and CC list for email_rules: If I pass this file to mailx $ cat file | mailx -s "hi" abc@xyz.com What I get in mail is  (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangi13
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold characters in a file using Shell script

Hi, When I am running below mentioned script then the characters become bold but after opening the same file in Windows, Instead of getting bold characters i am getting some garbage value for \033Kunal Dixit Output in Windows (after ftp the file): but in windows , i am getting My name is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunal_dixit
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display in bold

Hi, i am using mailx option to send mail from unix In the body of the mail i want certain numbers to be displayed in bold Is there any way to do it If so, can anyone help me in this regard. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making Some Characters in file BOLD

Hi All, I want to make some characters to be bold in a file. I have a file e.g aa.log which contains rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr gfgfgdaerqrqwrqerqwrwqwrqrqwrqr qqwerqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrq qwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwr File is too large to view Last line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help getting rid of bold characters

Hi! So i've got this shell script that asks questions and the user is required to input answers. The answers typed are bold. sh-*.*$ sh filename dir cat question tput bold read ans tput sgr0 ... and so on tput sgr0 exit So when the script ends i don't get the bold characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingzy
3 Replies
ALTER VIEW - change the definition of a view SYNOPSIS
ALTER VIEW name ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET DEFAULT expression ALTER VIEW name ALTER [ COLUMN ] column DROP DEFAULT ALTER VIEW name OWNER TO new_owner ALTER VIEW name RENAME TO new_name ALTER VIEW name SET SCHEMA new_schema DESCRIPTION
ALTER VIEW changes various auxiliary properties of a view. (If you want to modify the view's defining query, use CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW.) You must own the view to use ALTER VIEW. To change a view's schema, you must also have CREATE privilege on the new schema. To alter the owner, you must also be a direct or indirect member of the new owning role, and that role must have CREATE privilege on the view's schema. (These restrictions enforce that altering the owner doesn't do anything you couldn't do by dropping and recreating the view. However, a superuser can alter ownership of any view anyway.) PARAMETERS
name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing view. SET/DROP DEFAULT These forms set or remove the default value for a column. A default value associated with a view column is inserted into INSERT statements on the view before the view's ON INSERT rule is applied, if the INSERT does not specify a value for the column. new_owner The user name of the new owner of the view. new_name The new name for the view. new_schema The new schema for the view. NOTES
For historical reasons, ALTER TABLE can be used with views too; but the only variants of ALTER TABLE that are allowed with views are equiv- alent to the ones shown above. EXAMPLES
To rename the view foo to bar: ALTER VIEW foo RENAME TO bar; COMPATIBILITY
ALTER VIEW is a PostgreSQL extension of the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CREATE VIEW [create_view(7)], DROP VIEW [drop_view(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 ALTER VIEW(7)