Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk append to one line if first field is the same Post 302362996 by Franklin52 on Monday 19th of October 2009 06:34:51 AM
Old 10-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoulov
Use gawk, nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.
Are you sure you want the final comma?
Code:
awk -F, 'END { for (k in _) print k, _[k] }
{ _[$1] = $1 in _ ? _[$1] FS $2 : $2 }
' infile

Re-reading the post, I'm not sure I understand the requirement ...
radoulov,

This line should have a comma as field separator:

Code:
END { for (k in _) print k FS _[k] }

Regards Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a field to the end of each line of a file based on searching another file.

Hi All, I have two comma separated value(CSV) files, say FileA and FileB. The contents looks like that shown below. FileA EmpNo,Name,Age,Sex, 1000,ABC,23,M, 1001,DES,24,F, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimate
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK line by line instead of field by field?

I've been using a lot of awk lately for csv files. But I've been using awk for csv files that contain 32 fields per line. For the first time, I've been given a csv file that contains one field per line (13 fields in each csv file). I need to check that a specific field, or line contains a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED or AWK "append line to the previous line"

Hi, How can I remove the line beak in the following case if the line begin with the special char “;”? TEXT Text;text ;text Text;text;text I want to convert the text to: Text;text;text Text;text;text I have already tried to use... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: research3
31 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk for a line that contains someting in a field

How would I do something like this when field 4 contains "John". I only want to print field 1 and 4 when when field 4 contains"John". awk -F" " '{print $1 $4} (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Values with common field in same line with awk

Hi all ! I almost did it but got a small problem. input: cars red cars blue cars green truck black Wanted: cars red-blue-green truck black Attempt: gawk 'BEGIN{FS="\t"}{a = a (a?"-":"")$2; $2=a; print $1 FS $2}' input But I also got the intermediate records... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with awk, where line length and field position are variable

I have several questions about using awk. I'm hoping someone could lend me a hand. (I'm also hoping that my questions make sense.) I have a file that contains pipe separated data. Each line has similar data but the number of fields and the field position on each line is variable. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheese64
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove line if field has symbols in it

Trying to use awk to remove a line only if $1 contains either ; or :. Thje awk below runs but no lines are removed. Thank you :). awk awk '$1 !~ /;/ || $1 !~ /:/ { print }' file file AARS2;TMEM151B 1 AASS 2 ABAT 3 ABCA1 3 ABCA10 1 ABCA12 2 ABCA13 1 ABCA13:AX746840 2 ABCA2 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)