Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris CDROM will not eject - says device busy Post 302362743 by System Shock on Saturday 17th of October 2009 09:03:38 AM
Old 10-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
"kill -9" is never a good advice though, too much cow-boy style.

As I suggested previously, you should first figure out what these processes are and have them stopped gently instead.
Yepee-Ky-yay, Hans.

It's the cdrom directory. He's trying to remove the cd. Why is it never good advice to use -9?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount, device busy, but..

I'm trying to unmount a file system, but umount says the device is busy. A fuser -c /myfs tells me that nothing on this fs is in use. Any idea? Oh, and btw, why isn't my signature beeing displayed? Show user's signature is enabled and I have entered one :/ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sTorm
10 Replies

2. Solaris

cdrom will not eject

Hi I have placed a CD into the rom and now I can not eject it. when i type in eject cdrom i get the follwing error root@ssdb0009 # eject cdrom /vol/dev/rdsk/c0t6d0/dp_a0500_solaris_7_and_8_cd: Device busy Therefore i try and eject it with the -f option (eject -f cdrom) I still get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisca
4 Replies

3. AIX

Eject CDROM?

Now i have a prolem! I double click on my zip file from cdrom. System can not read my zip file and i can not eject my cdrom. How can i manage process and can i end a process or how can i eject my cdrom? please have me! thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leenguyen0101
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Cannot umount - device busy

Anyone have any idea why I cannot umount a directory even though fuser shows no process attached to it? fuser -cu /data/oracle/GMPSHRDM/export /data/oracle/GMPSHRDM/export: umount /data/oracle/GMPSHRDM/export umount: cannot unmount /data/oracle/GMPSHRDM/export : Device busy umount:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SF V210 CDROM drive auto eject!

Hi, When I insert a cd to CDROM drive in SF V210 Solaris 10 it took seconds then eject it auto! How can I solve this issue? Thanks Regards :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HishamN
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Device or resource busy??

Hi, I'm trying to do a sharity mount to mount a terastation network drive. I'm getting a Device or resource busy message after my mount command. Please see output below... # /usr/local/sharity3/bin/sharity mount smb://labbackup01/bakup_data /mnt/labbackup01 Device or resource busy.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to eject boot cdrom after booting from it?

Hey everyone, I currently have a sparcstation 5, and am trying to run some scripts on it without booting off the hard drive. Currently I am using a Solaris 8 install cd to boot into single user mode. However, the scripts I have are on a different CD. What I would like to do is to use the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: idlechatter
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Trying to eject cdrom

The green cdrom light is blinking on our Sun Solaris server. I tried the eject command to eject cdrom: eject cdrom cdrom: No such file or directory bash-2.05# eject No default media available bash-2.05# eject cdrom0 cdrom0: No such file or directory The message log file shows: Oct 19... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: agarcia19
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mount : Device busy

mount -f nfs 1234:/export/ert /der/fr/ert mount : /der/fr/ert: device busy normally I will then do an fuser filesystem and kill the pids, which I did. now if I do an fuser /der/fr/ert I get the mount point and no pid > fuser /der/fr/ert /der/fr/ert: but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
MADVISE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise, posix_madvise -- give advice about use of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise() system call allows a process that has knowledge of its memory behavior to describe it to the system. The advice passed in may be used by the system to alter its virtual memory paging strategy. This advice may improve application and system performance. The behavior specified in advice can only be one of the following values: MADV_NORMAL Indicates that the application has no advice to give on its behavior in the specified address range. This is the system default behavior. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_NORMAL Same as MADV_NORMAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_SEQUENTIAL Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a sequential manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL Same as MADV_SEQUENTIAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_RANDOM Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a random manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_RANDOM Same as MADV_RANDOM but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_WILLNEED Indicates that the application expects to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED Same as MADV_WILLNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_DONTNEED Indicates that the application is not expecting to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED Same as MADV_DONTNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_FREE Indicates that the application will not need the information contained in this address range, so the pages may be reused right away. The address range will remain valid. This is used with madvise() system call. MADV_ZERO_WIRED_PAGES Indicates that the application would like the wired pages in this address range to be zeroed out if the address range is deallocated without first unwiring the pages (i.e. a munmap(2) without a preceding munlock(2) or the application quits). This is used with madvise() system call. The posix_madvise() behaves same as madvise() except that it uses values with POSIX_ prefix for the advice system call argument. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
madvise() fails if one or more of the following are true: [EINVAL] The value of advice is incorrect. [EINVAL] The address range includes unallocated regions. [ENOMEM] The virtual address range specified by the addr and len are outside the range allowed for the address space. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. The type of addr has changed. SEE ALSO
mincore(2), minherit(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2), compat(5) HISTORY
The madvise function first appeared in 4.4BSD. The posix_madvise function is part of IEEE 1003.1-2001 and was first implemented in Mac OS X 10.2. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD