Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using AWK to separate data from a large XML file into multiple files Post 302362715 by JRy on Saturday 17th of October 2009 05:04:41 AM
Old 10-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2542a
I downloaded the script onto both my my Centos (linux) system and my windows (cygwin) system. It worked fine on my Linux system. On the windows system, there were translation errors. There are hidden characters...
I really don't know what's left to try then.. for another test, I used terminal, executed a touch command to create split2.awk and then used TextEdit to retype the code character by character with no tabs and I still have the same exact problem.

Are there any other possible solutions? I never thought it would be this much of a hassle -- again, thank you so much for the help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple smaller files from one large file

I have a file with a simple list of ids. 750,000 rows. I have to break it down into multiple 50,000 row files to submit in a batch process.. Is there an easy script I could write to accomplish this task? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtroscianecki
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling multiple files using awk command and wants to get separate out file for each

hai all I am new to the world of shell scripting I wanted to extract two columns from multiple files say around 25 files and i wanted to get the separate outfile for each input file tired using the following command to extract two columns from 25 files awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hema dhevi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to match multiple regex and create separate output files

Howdy Folks, I have a list that looks like this: (file2.txt) AAA BBB CCC DDD and there are 24 of these short words. I am matching these patterns to another file with 755795 lines (file1.txt). I have this code for matching: awk -v f2=file2.txt ' BEGIN { while(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heecha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data file into separate files with the file names depending upon a column's value?

Hi, I have a data file xyz.dat similar to the one given below, 2345|98|809||x|969|0 2345|98|809||y|0|537 2345|97|809||x|544|0 2345|97|809||y|0|651 9685|98|809||x|321|0 9685|98|809||y|0|357 9685|98|709||x|687|0 9685|98|709||y|0|234 2315|98|809||x|564|0 2315|98|809||y|0|537... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create separate files from one excel file with multiple sheets

Hi, I have one requirement, create separate files (".csv") from one excel file(xlsx) with multiple sheets. These ".csv" files are my source files. So anybody please suggest me the process. Thanks in Advance. Regards, Harris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harris
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple large files with awk

Hi there, I'm camor and I'm trying to process huge files with bash scripting and awk. I've got a dataset folder with 10 files (16 millions of row each one - 600MB), and I've got a sorted file with all keys inside. For example: a sample_1 200 a.b sample_2 10 a sample_3 10 a sample_1 10 a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camor
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single xml file into multiple xml files

Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Sample.xml consists multiple headers so how can we split these multiple headers into multiple files in unix. eg : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ml:individual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra921631
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Multiple files - 1 file with multi-line data

Greetings experts, Have 2 input files, of which 1 file has 1 record per line; in 2nd file, multiple lines constitute 1 record; Hence declared the RS=";" Now in the first file which ends with ";" at each line of the line; But \nis also being considered as part of the data due to which I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large xml into mutiple files and with header and footer in file

Split large xml into mutiple files and with header and footer in file tried below it splits unevenly and also i need help in adding header and footer command : csplit -s -k -f my_XML_split.xml extrfile.xml "/<Document>/" {1} sample xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Recipient>... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik
36 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any argument containing spaces is enclosed in quotes. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ox Specifies "x" to be the open quote character. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -ex Specifies "x" to be the escape char for metachars. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing spaces are quoted. SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 444: 09 Jun 2011 LESSECHO(1)