Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to list files and execute an action? Post 302362583 by bbbngowc on Friday 16th of October 2009 02:36:46 PM
Old 10-16-2009
what's the `ls`?

Let's say I'm seaching for *.txt, normally I would type:

Code:
for x in *.txt
do
something $x
something $x
done

I don't understand the for x in `ls`

---------- Post updated at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:56 PM ----------

Thanks for the suggestions but this didn't solve the problem either. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in searching 2 files for strings then perform an action

I have 2 files. I basically want to search both of them to see if the 1st column ($1) matches and if it matches then check to see if the 2nd column ($2) matches, then execute some code showing the results of the matches. File 1: AAA 123 misc blah BBB 456 CCC 789 File 2: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use expect - send to execute list of commands inside a file

:)hello people i am working on some kind of PBX and i have list of telephone numbers inside a file, i have to insert these numbers into the correct command and then telnet to a remote server and execute these commands. i can read the telephone numbers and insert them into the command with no... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: auma78
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the files based on timestamp and execute sorted files in order

Hi I have a requirement like below I need to sort the files based on the timestamp in the file name and run them in sorted order and then archive all the files which are one day old to temp directory My files looks like this PGABOLTXML1D_201108121235.xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saidutta123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access files from different directories and to perform search action in those files?

Hi, I want to access files from different directories (for example: /home/dir1/file1 , /home/dir2/file2 ...) Like this i have to access these files(file1, file2...). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed cannot execute [Argument list too long]

Hi All, This question has been asked many times, but my problem is slightly different. In my shell script i am connecting to oracle database and loading the results to .dat file. This .dat file is later used to create to .xls file Some times the size of .dat file becomes more than 120000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: galaxy_rocky
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between two csv files in UNIX

Hi, I am new to awk/unix and am trying to put together an awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between the two csv files. Here are the contents of the two files: File 1: Date,ParentID,Number,Area,Volume,Dimensions 2014-01-01,ABC,247,83430.33,857.84,8110.76... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prit Siv
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files and execute commands on these files (advanced)

So, I need to find a bunch of files and delete them (this example, but sometimes I need it for something else) and my trusty go-to command has always been: find . -type f -name '*file*' | xargs -I## rm '##' Works wonders... But: touch file\ file\'.txt touch file.txt touch file\ file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Glaurung
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find list of files missing read & execute permission

Hi, I'm writing a post-upgrade script and I want to find which files don't have read and execute to everyone. I can run a find . ! -perm, but then I have to use a list of the possible permissions (777,775, 755 etc). Is there a more elegant solution? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Catullus
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Action on all files in a folder

How can I do an action to all files in a specific folder? Do I use ls and a loop or something else? Does ls take folder location? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)