Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatinate a string with output of echo statement Post 302362250 by dr.house on Thursday 15th of October 2009 11:08:26 AM
Old 10-15-2009
Code:
echo -n "mapping-expression :" >> /home/testBinding.txt
echo $EXPRESS | xmllint --shell QA_Oct12_DIR.cfb | grep -v "/ >" >> /home/testBinding.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo statement

Does anyone know the correct syntax for computing arithmetic expressions inside the echo statement? Let me know, thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: circleW
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl equivalent of ksh if / echo statement

Is there an equivalent perl statement for the following ksh statement ? example if then ... else ... fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert TAB in echo statement

Hi, Can some1 help me to output a tab in an echo statement. I have tried echo "RNC: \t NODEB" but dont get the correct output. I am a beginnger to unix, so pls hold back the laughs....if u can (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunils27
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo statement issue

Hi All, I am pasting my code below if # e means file exists then echo OFR_Configlist exists >> OFR_Backup_Configfiles.log else echo OFR_Configlist Not exists >> OFR_Backup_Configfiles.log exit fi How can i show the echo message in console also at the same time? I dont want to write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting width in echo statement

Hello All, I need to set the width or number of columns for my dynamic output in the echo statement. statement is like: echo " <output> " here the <output> is dyamice and can be of any number of characters, the " " should always start in same column everytime it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of both the echo statement in one line

I have script like echo -n FINISHED FEXP: ${TABLE2EXP} echo $STATUS I want the output of both the echo statement in one line How can i do this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read a file to an echo statement

I was searching for an option where i can echo some strings together with the contents of a file. Eg. I was to echo the below string to a file "alter application PMS_ add variable CurrYear Y2009;" >> ${ESS_MAXL_DIR}/PMS_SUB.txt The value 2009 is coming from a file called date.txt without the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celvin VK
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo statement when find returns null

Hi, How do you echo something once when a find statement returns null results? This is when using mutiple locations and mutiple arguments. The below find command the inner loop of a nested for loop where the outter loop holds the $args and the inner loop holds the locations. find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tchoruma
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If echo statement return false

I have this code that sometimes return a false value and the code inside the if statement gets executed and error out. Any idea why? thanks. So I set a debug and see what the value for $ScriptElapsedTime Here is the value I got ScriptElapsedTime='03:20'. Base on this value the if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nugent
10 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)