Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting append a line into a file in the top Post 302362150 by Amit.Sagpariya on Thursday 15th of October 2009 05:54:56 AM
Old 10-15-2009
Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "\n\nPlease enter the month of the year(YYYYMM) : \c"
read date_rep

INPUT_L9_FILE=L9_Recharge_Description_EOM_$date_rep.csv
echo "L9_RECHARGE_DESCRIPTION, Total of Grand total, Total fo balance total" >> $INPUT_L9_FILE

### Remaining code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Append a Value to each line of the file

Hi, We have Multiple source files which has some data, I need a K shell script which will append number '1' as the last character to all the lines of the first file and then increments the value and appends '2' to all the lines to the next file and so on. For Example Incoming file 1 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsshishya
11 Replies

2. AIX

want to remove some line from top of file.

Hi All, I have AIX 5.3 server. I have one big file. in that i want to remove 5000 line from top. is there any command for this? Thanks, Vishal (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalpatel03
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to insert a line at the top of a file?

say I want to insert "this is a test" as the first line into file A, besides echo "this is a test" > /tmp/tmpfile cat /tmp/tmpfile fileA >> /tmp/result, is there any simple way I can do it? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append each line to next previous line in a file

Hi all, Please help me in providing sample code to append the following 4 lines in one row. Input : A1/EXT "BAPBSC10/07B/00" 523 090530 0115 RXOCF-430 HY1711 1 EXTERNAL ALARM DOOR ALARM Output should be : A1/EXT "BAPBSC10/07B/00" 523 090530 0115 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add a new line on top of a file

infile a b c A E F 1 2 3 outfile new line a b c A E F 1 2 3 I tried: sed '1i\ new line' infile > outfilecat outfile new linea b c A E F 1 2 3 I don't want the new line be added to the existing first line. Thanks Joseph (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append text to the second line of a file

Say I have a text file like: 1 3 4 How would I use ksh to put the number '2' into the second line of that file? I'm using OpenBSD so the sed syntax might be a bit different (I have no idea how to use sed, though) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

conditional append one line in file.

Hi, Unix gurus, I have a requirement as following: checking existing file, if the file only contain one line. then append "No data" else keep existing file as is. can i achieve this by in command line without write a script. :wall: Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append file name to the beginning of each line

I want to append file names at the beginning of a line for each row file content abc.txt.gz 123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz 876|trf|kjh I want a single output file with below format abc.txt.gz|123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz|876|trf|kjh This one is working but only with unzip files,need to have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh5300
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a line to top of the file

Hi, I have a following file and it has only one occurrence of line that says "Output view:". It could be in middle somewhere ( i don't know the exact location ). I want to move it as the first line of the file. Input AAA BBBB CCCC Output view: XXXX YYYY ZZZZ Output should be: Output... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
13 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)