Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: using sed to replace help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using sed to replace help Post 302362115 by zaxxon on Thursday 15th of October 2009 04:17:15 AM
Old 10-15-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

---------- Post updated at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:13 AM ----------

I am wondering it replaces anything at all. Nevertheless:
Code:
$> cat infile2
tall Installation-path variable
$> sed "s/Installation-path/newtext/" infile2
tall newtext variable

I do not work with csh, maybe you'll have to do some adjustments to make it work in your script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace using SED?

Hi, I want to change a particular string in a file with another string. This is part of a larger script file. I m using SED for this purpose: sed -e 's/hostname.domainname/${HOST}.${DOMAIN}/g' $sed_file>$tmp_file Where the occurance hostname.domainname has to be replaced with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - replace $

my script: amount1=`tail /tmp/file1.txt` amount2=`tail /tmp/file2.txt` sed -e 's/'${amount2}'/'${amount1}'/g' filename1 > filename2 what did i do wrong ? i just want to replace amount1 with amount2 value. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to replace the a string in the same file using sed?

How do i replace a string using sed into the same file without creating a intermediate file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED Replace

I'm trying to change a "." in a file name with a "_" I have tried; sed -e 's/./_/g' However this then replaces the entire filename with a load of "_" For example; ls /usr/local/feed/service/customers/test1/configs/test1.httpsend | awk -F/ '{print $9}' | tr "" "" | sed -e "s/./_/g" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed replace

Hello, I have a comman separated file lets day data.txt in following format ,:000002 CH XIN9I.INDX, 34.7534909645,:000002 CH,:Index XIN9I.INDX ,:000063 CH XIN9I.INDX, 6.3062924781,:000063 CH,:Index XIN9I.INDX ,:000776 CH XIN9I.INDX, 2.7001954832,:000776 CH,:Index XIN9I.INDX I would like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srattani
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with sed

Hi, I have values in a file at Place $1 as AmericanDollar, AustralianDollar, Singapore1Dollar and so on on various rows. I want to replace Dollar with Pound for all those records where no numeric character is present in the string. Means in above mentioned values 'Singapore1Dollar' should not be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: DannyMirashi
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace

Hi, i have a file as give below >cat sample_file param1 val1 2012-06-19 ##there can be one or more space after 2012-06-19 in the above file i want to replace val1 with a with value passed through a variable... below is the command i tried >parval='param1 val2' >par1=param1 >sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun19
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/replace help

How can we empty or replace with null, following block of code (within the php quotes including the quotes) from inside a file. *** some other data above this code <? #317008# ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Replace

I have a file whose output words are always like this: aaaa bbbb cccc dddd. Trying to arrange the data so that there are 2 columns such that the 1st word become the 1st column like this: aaaa aaaa aaaa bbbb aaaa cccc aaaa dddd Trying to use awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
8 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)