Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Doubt on free command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Doubt on free command Post 302362021 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 06:22:49 PM
Old 10-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by user7509
All,

I have doubts related to free command in Linux.
My environment is RHEL5 – 64 bit OS
We have 2 node RAC database installed

Query output from node 1 is

Free –g

Total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 32 25 7 0 5 15
-/+ buffers/cache: 4 27
Swap: 30 0 30

Query output from node 2 is

Free –g

Total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 32 6 17 0 1 1
-/+ buffers/cache: 4 27
Swap: 30 0 30

We have Oracle database hosted on this server. We are in doubt that actual memory used is 25 GB or 4 GB. Performance team is telling that database is over utilizing the memory of 25 GB. But DB team is telling that actual memory utilization is 4 GB and remaining 20+ GB is used by buffers / cached.

I have googled it and noticed that 25 GB is summation of 4+5+15 (close to 25). I referred Linux material and it says that memory in buffers and cached will improve the performance.

1.Can somebody explain whether actual memory used is 4 GB or 25 GB?
2.What is the use of buffers and cached?
3.Sometimes used value is peaking close to 31 GB from 25 GB. Mostly occupied by buffers and cached.
4.At a particular moment, -/+ buffers/cache: will be same. But Mem used will be more in node 1 and less in node 2. After particular hours, the Mem used will be shifting from node 1 to node 2. i.e., in node 1, Mem used will be 6 GB and Mem used in node 2 will be 25 GB approximately. Any body have any idea about this behaviour?
Hi user7509,

1. On node 1 the actual usage is 25 GiB. But only a small part is in use by Oracle and large parts by probably almost useless filesystem caching.
2. buffers and cached is part of free memory that is being used for buffering an caching. It remains however free memory. The moment it is needed, the most of the buffers and file system cache gets discarded. This cache is not the cache that Oracle uses.
3. See 2.
4. Usually the memory use of the oracle instances are largely determined by the SGA, which is used almost entirely for the database cache. This is shared memory allocation. Do you have single instance databases that sometimes run on one node and sometimes on the other? You can check the allocated chunks of shared memory by running.
Code:
ipcs -ma

as root or by checking the oracle init file.. The owner of the chunks is the oradba user that runs the database.
Filesystem cache will be of almost no use on a RAC cluster. You would probably be better off by enlarging the SGA of your databases so the memory is put to practical use, but no more than is useful of course.

S.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-14-2009 at 07:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in find command

Hi All, I wanted to list all the files in the current directory which contains the pattern "error". I tried the following grep command grep -i 'error' *.* but i got the error message "ksh: /usr/bin/grep: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long." Any idea why the grep didn't work? Note:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mona
3 Replies

2. AIX

doubt in cal command

I am new to unix... How to get all the saturdays of a specific year? for a specific month, i tried as below.. cal 02 2006 | awk '{print $7}' but it is not giving all saturdays.... can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance, Sumi (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumi
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in tr command

Hi, I am trying to understand a script and found a line as follows: tr '\211\233\240' '\040' < $IN_FILE | tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' > $TEMP_FILE Can any one explain the above line .. What are they trying to translate using the tr command.. I have not used tr command.. so feeling little bit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt with ftp command

Hi linux experts, I am using ftp command as : ftp hostname but it says unable to connect, if i am using the same in sftp it is working : sftp hostname it works. so please help me how should i use ftp command. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: salil2012
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command doubt

i have input files like this SFE_DOC_DATE (SFE_DOC_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_PSTNG_DATE (SFE_PSTNG_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_CREATEDON (SFE_CREATEDON:UniChar.:): "05/31/20" SFE_CLEAR_DATE (SFE_CLEAR_DATE:UniChar.:): "(NULL)" SFE_CLR_DOC_NO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt regarding chmod command

which one is correct chmod 777 file.txt or chmod 777 / file.txt what is difference in these two commands? thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command substitution doubt

Hi, I almost always use back quotes in scripts to assigin output of a command to a variable. eg: file=`basename a/b/c/d/file` year_mon=`date +%Y%m` But the same can be achieved like: file=$(basename a/b/c/d/file) year_mon=$(date +%Y%m) I would like to know if there is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wanderingmind16
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt in ls command

dear users and experts, i am stuck withis command and i am unable to understand what is it doing?? ls -d * (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshank
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doubt on setserial command

My understanding is that "setserial" command is used to change the attributes of serial device files (ttyS) managed by the linux serial driver(serial module). My doubt is, using setserial command is it possible to change the attributes of other serial device files managed by a different driver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command doubt

hi all, I would need to add the description in the below syntax. let me know the below syntaxt how it can be changed to add the description in the below. ps -ef | grep "server" | mailx -s "servers currently which are running" operational@acel.com Server 62 -> Used for User acessing.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
14 Replies
FREE(1) 							   User Commands							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - Display amount of free and used memory in the system SYNOPSIS
free [options] DESCRIPTION
free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap memory in the system, as well as the buffers and caches used by the ker- nel. The information is gathered by parsing /proc/meminfo. The displayed columns are: total Total installed memory (MemTotal and SwapTotal in /proc/meminfo) used Used memory (calculated as total - free - buffers - cache) free Unused memory (MemFree and SwapFree in /proc/meminfo) shared Memory used (mostly) by tmpfs (Shmem in /proc/meminfo) buffers Memory used by kernel buffers (Buffers in /proc/meminfo) cache Memory used by the page cache and slabs (Cached and SReclaimable in /proc/meminfo) buff/cache Sum of buffers and cache available Estimation of how much memory is available for starting new applications, without swapping. Unlike the data provided by the cache or free fields, this field takes into account page cache and also that not all reclaimable memory slabs will be reclaimed due to items being in use (MemAvailable in /proc/meminfo, available on kernels 3.14, emulated on kernels 2.6.27+, otherwise the same as free) OPTIONS
-b, --bytes Display the amount of memory in bytes. -k, --kibi Display the amount of memory in kibibytes. This is the default. -m, --mebi Display the amount of memory in mebibytes. -g, --gibi Display the amount of memory in gibibytes. --tebi Display the amount of memory in tebibytes. --pebi Display the amount of memory in pebibytes. --kilo Display the amount of memory in kilobytes. Implies --si. --mega Display the amount of memory in megabytes. Implies --si. --giga Display the amount of memory in gigabytes. Implies --si. --tera Display the amount of memory in terabytes. Implies --si. --peta Display the amount of memory in petabytes. Implies --si. -h, --human Show all output fields automatically scaled to shortest three digit unit and display the units of print out. Following units are used. B = bytes K = kibibyte M = mebibyte G = gibibyte T = tebibyte P = pebibyte If unit is missing, and you have exbibyte of RAM or swap, the number is in tebibytes and columns might not be aligned with header. -w, --wide Switch to the wide mode. The wide mode produces lines longer than 80 characters. In this mode buffers and cache are reported in two separate columns. -c, --count count Display the result count times. Requires the -s option. -l, --lohi Show detailed low and high memory statistics. -s, --seconds delay Continuously display the result delay seconds apart. You may actually specify any floating point number for delay using either . or , for decimal point. usleep(3) is used for microsecond resolution delay times. --si Use kilo, mega, giga etc (power of 1000) instead of kibi, mebi, gibi (power of 1024). -t, --total Display a line showing the column totals. --help Print help. -V, --version Display version information. FILES
/proc/meminfo memory information BUGS
The value for the shared column is not available from kernels before 2.6.32 and is displayed as zero. Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> SEE ALSO
ps(1), slabtop(1), top(1), vmstat(8). procps-ng 2016-06-03 FREE(1)