Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to fill up disk space for testing purpose Post 302361936 by dp100022 on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 12:42:05 PM
Old 10-14-2009
script to fill up disk space for testing purpose

Hello everyone
I am new to this forum

I am working on a project and needed a test script to fill up a disk partition /tmp/data to see how the program fails.
The system I am working on is a redhat 5.3.
Is there anything out there?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Frustrating Disk space script

This my frustrating disk space script that is supposed to send me a email whenever the disk space reaches 90% but this has some problem that just would not work ..can anyone please tell me when im going wrong #!/bin/ksh sendemail=-1 space=`df -bhk /users/siebelserver |awk '{print$5}'` echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivsiv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space script

Hi all, Can any one help me in making a disk space script in solaris 8/9 for instance i only want to get those partitions whose diskspace has exceed 70%. Any volunteer? Cheers! BR/asad (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asadlone
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to space fill a 2060 byte record

Calling all experts: When I ftp from Mainframe to unix server, the ftp message says fixed length 2060, but i lose trailing spaces. I tried a solution i found here, awk ' { printf("%-2060s\n",$0) } ' fname1 > fname2 works for small records but, err msg: string too long, for long records ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JohnMario
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help - disk space check script

I have a disk space check script that uses an exceptions file, the only issue with the script is that it does not work with values higher than the FSMAX=85 value. I have a file system that is at 92% and it doesn't change, so I would like to add it to the exceptions file. The exceptions file format... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddhadder71
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to 'split' mirror disk for OS upgrade purpose

Plan to upgrade Solaris from version 8 to version 9. Understand that if the boot disk is mirrored, I need to split it first before upgrade, how can I do that? Please advise. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Disk space

:( Hi All, i have 4 linux server for which i want set up script to monitor the disk space ... here my problem is i want the output like graph... also it should reflect in monitor ...as non stop process.. can any one suggest me any way where i can implement the script? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Best Practice to avoid dump core to fill-up root disk

Hi, We're running HP-UX 11.21 / 11.31 on PARISC and ITANIUM. We're looking for soluation to avoid the core dump files to fill up / disk. Which moethod or technology that you normally use to implement this? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk space utilization script

Hi, I wrote the following script for monitoring disk space and inform the concerned team accordingly. But script gives me below error syntax error at line 70 : `<' unmatched #!/bin/ksh . /home/scr/.profile . /home/scr/.infa_env # Get the list of Integration Services ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Monitoring Script - OLD and NEW

It's the old thread "Disk Space Monitoring Script", modified for UNIX This is the new code: df -k | awk ' { if ( int($4) > 90) {subject = $1 " More than 90% disk usage. Used: " $4 email = "email@test.com" print subject cmd = "mailx -s \"" subject "\" " email cmd | getline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dungureanu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Disk space script

i have 3 servers and i am checking for the disk space of a specific mount-point, should not be more than 85 % considering example as below server1 mountpoint_1 has 70% diskutilization server2 mountpoint_1 has 80% diskutilization server3 mountpoint_1 has 7% diskutilization now when it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
6 Replies
LM-PROFILER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LM-PROFILER(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/lm-profiler - laptop mode profiler SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lm-profiler DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/lm-profiler command. lm-profiler is a tool for profiling disk operations. It is a part of laptop mode tools and is useful only in relation to rest of laptop mode tools. It helps you to detect programs and services that use up system resources and that cause disk activity, and it allows you to disable them when laptop mode is active. When you start lm-profiler, it will execute a "profiling run", which can take some time. Start lm-profiler when you are working on batter- ies, preferably, because that will allow it to analyze the actual situation that it is supposed to optimize. During the profiling run, you can use your system normally; however, any disk activity caused by your actions will end up in the profiler's results. When the profiling run is finished, you will be presented with a list of programs that deserve your attention, either because they listen on a network (which is not usually useful when you are working offline) or because they caused disk activity in a disk-spindown-unfriendly pattern. When lm- profiler can guess an init script that belongs to a program, it presents you with the opportunity to disable the program when you are work- ing on battery. It does this by placing a link to the init script in /etc/laptop-mode/batt-stop. Any programs that lm-profiler cannot find an init script for is simply reported, so that you can stop the program manually if you want to. WARNING ABOUT DISABLING PROGRAMS: It may not be safe to disable some programs. They may be needed for proper operation of your system. Dis- able services only if you know what they do and why you don't need them. FILES
/etc/lm-profiler.conf lm-profiler retrieves its profiling rules from this file. SEE ALSO
lm-profiler.conf(8). laptop-mode.conf(8). daemons.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) and Jan Polacek (jerome@ucw.cz) for the Debian system (but may be used by oth- ers). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LM-PROFILER(8)