Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Easy Script, just to find the given username if is it online or not Post 302361780 by DukeNuke2 on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 05:22:43 AM
Old 10-14-2009
this is not part of the script... "cat file" just shows what is inside the file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find who fingered my username

Hi Everyone, Whenever someone uses the finger command against my username, he.she gets my info. Is there a way to find who ran the command against my username, somewhat like a log file for the finger command. I would be greatful if someone to clear my query. Regards Anirudh Koul... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anirudhkoul
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find, make and move file based on username

hi there, i'm new to UNIX( just 3month used), i found my new box contained alot of files and directories in /home/box/ i've tried to search script in tis forum and found many of them but, i don't know how to combine them to make a script, although using pipes. my tasks are: 1) to scan user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helmi
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help on installing an EASY to use and easy to install command line text editor

Hi again. Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming the boards a bit, but I figured I might as well ask all the questions I need answers to at once, and hopefully at least get some. I have installed Solaris 10 on a server. The default text editors are there (vi, ex, ed, maybe others, I know emacs is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EugeneG
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find username of user running the script

Hello All, If I have a simple cgi script and want to find the name of the person accessing the page, is it possible? How do I get the name of this user? Please help. I was trying a vague method but it doesn't seem to work with all browsers and versions ... $val=$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'}; $name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garric
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the username in /etc/passwd file

Hi, I need to a shell script to list out only the username in the /etc/passwd file. Regards Siva (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find any device online/offline

what is the command for checking which device active and which is not active (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

grep file to find unique instances of username

hello - A SystemOut.log file has recurring entries that follow this format: Principal: auth9.nick.al.gov:389/USERNAME Over the course of a day thousands of lines similar to this are produced, with each username represented hundreds of times. I need to create a new file that shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1075FJ40
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

iptables - most easy way to find rule and remove it?

I have situation where I have rules in iptables with comments. Now... I can for example enter rule like "iptables -A FORWARD -s xxx -j ACCEPT" and delete it with "iptables -D FORWARD -s xxx -j ACCEPT".. but if that rule contain some random comment (-m comment) then ... ? I can find with scripting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkman_hr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep with 'who' to find online users

solved (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subway69
3 Replies
ftphosts(4)							   File Formats 						       ftphosts(4)

NAME
ftphosts - FTP Server individual user host access file SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts DESCRIPTION
The ftphosts file is used to allow or deny access to accounts from specified hosts. The following access capabilities are supported: allow username addrglob [addrglob...] Only allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. deny username addrglob [addrglob...] Do not allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. A username of * matches all users. A username of anonymous or ftp specifies the anonymous user. addrglob is a regular expression that is matched against hostnames or IP addresses. addrglob may also be in the form address:netmask or address/CIDR, or be the name of a file that starts with a slash ('/') and contains additional address globs. An exclamation mark (`!') placed before the addrglob negates the test. The first allow or deny entry in the ftphosts file that matches a username and host is used. If no entry exists for a username, then access is allowed. Otherwise, a matching allow entry is required to permit access. EXAMPLES
You can use the following ftphosts file to allow anonymous access from any host except those on the class A network 10, with the exception of 10.0.0.* IP addresses, which are allowed access: allow ftp 10.0.0.* deny ftp 10.*.*.* allow ftp * 10.0.0.* can be written as 10.0.0.0:255.255.255.0 or 10.0.0.0/24. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftphosts(4)