Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: test file empty
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting test file empty Post 302361542 by chipcmc on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 12:54:48 PM
Old 10-13-2009
are you sure the size of file is 0,can you paste the exit of:
Code:
ls -l /tmp/list

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if test for empty and non-existing file

How to write this condition in ksh? if myfile is empty or myfile does not exist then do action1 fi is this OK? if ] -o ] then then do action1 fi Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File is not empty?

How do I check to make sure a file is not zero bytes? Something like: if then ????? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to empty file using > but the file size increasing when next append

AIX 5.3 / KSH I have a Java application which creates a log file a.log. I have a KSH script which does the following action cp a.log /directory2/b.log > a.log After this the file size goes to 0 as per "ls -l" Then next time when the application writes into this file, the file size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to see if the file is empty or not?

hi how can I determine, if a file is empty or not?I am using read line clause. The script should be like: while read line do if(file is empty) then; ...... done < $blacklist (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjay83
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

while file is empty

how can i use while loop ? while file is empty do.... if not empty do ..... in bash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trump
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat output if input file is empty, but not if file has data in it

The below awk improved bu @MadeInGermany, works great as long as the input file has data in it in the below format: input chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 631 18 chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 632 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
test(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   test(1)

NAME
test, [ - Evaluates conditional expressions SYNOPSIS
test [expression] [[expression]] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: test: XCU5.0 [: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The expression to be evaluated as true or false. This expression is constructed from the operators and elements explained in the DESCRIP- TION section. DESCRIPTION
The test command evaluates an expression constructed of functions and operators. If the value of expression is true, test returns an exit value of zero(0); otherwise, it returns FALSE, a nonzero exit value. The test command also returns a nonzero exit value if there are no arguments. The alternate form of the command surrounds expression with brackets ([ ]). When you use this form, you must surround the brackets with spaces. The test Expressions All of the listed functions and operators are separate arguments to test. The following functions are used to construct expression: TRUE if file exists and has read permission. TRUE if file exists and has write permission. TRUE if file exists and has execute permission. TRUE if file exists and is a regular file. TRUE if file exists and is a directory. TRUE if file exists. TRUE if file exists and is a character-special file. TRUE if file exists and is a block-special file. TRUE if file exists and is a named pipe (FIFO). [Tru64 UNIX] TRUE if file exists and is a soft link. Synonym for -L expression. TRUE if file exists and is a soft link. Synonym for -h expression. TRUE if file exists and its set-user ID bit is set. TRUE if file exists and its set-group ID bit is set. [Tru64 UNIX] TRUE if file exists and its sticky bit is set. TRUE if file exists and has a size greater than zero(0). TRUE if the open file with file descriptor number file_descriptor (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. TRUE if the length of string1 is zero(0). TRUE if the length of string1 is nonzero. TRUE if string1 and string2 are identical. TRUE if string1 and string2 are not identical. TRUE if string1 is not the null string. TRUE if the integers number1 and number2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le can be used in place of -eq. The listed functions can be combined with the following operators: Unary negation operator. Binary AND operator. Binary OR operator (the -a operator has higher precedence than the -o operator). [Tru64 UNIX] Parentheses for grouping. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The test command evaluated expression and its value is TRUE. The test command evaluated expression and is value is FALSE, or there are no arguments. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To test whether a file exists and is not empty, enter: if test ! -s "$1" then echo $1 does not exist or is empty. fi If the file specified by the first positional parameter to the shell procedure does not exist, this displays an error message. If $1 exists, it displays nothing. There must be a space between -s expression and the file name. The double quotes around $1 ensure that the test will work properly even if the value of $1 is the empty string. If the double quotes are omitted and $1 is the empty string, test displays the error message test: parameter expected. To do a complex compari- son, enter: if [ $# -lt 2 -o ! -s "$1" ] then exit fi If the shell procedure was given fewer than two positional parameters or the file specified by $1 does not exist, then this exits the shell procedure. The special shell variable $# represents the number of positional parameters entered on the command line that started this shell procedure. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of test: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), find(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Standards: standards(5) test(1)