Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem assigning a counter for particular pattern Post 302361519 by reddybs on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 11:38:38 AM
Old 10-13-2009
Hello Zaxxon,

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes, i will now need to compare this with the updated contents of the file and check if the pattern has occurred again or not and accordingly i should increment/decrement the counter.

I will try again and explain things in a better way so that it can be understood properly - in the next post ASAP.

However, many thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Sai

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counter / increment problem within echo stmt

Simple script trying to increment a counter within an echo statement never gets past 1 - PLEASE HELP! Thanks. ~~~~~~~~~~~ #!/bin/sh stepup() { STEP=`expr $STEP + 1` echo $STEP } # # Initialize variables # STEP=0 echo "Counter Value: `stepup`" echo "Counter Value:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blaze
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

counter problem

Hi, I'm attempting to take the following input list and create an output file as shown below. I've monkeyed around for long enough. Can anyone help? NOTE: fs*** will be header and I want to get a count on NY**. fs200a NY7A fs200b NY7B NY7B NY7B fs200c NY7C NY7C NY7C NY7C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem assigning values to variable

Date of Request: 20080514 10:37 Submitted By: JPCHIANG i want to get the value "JPCHIANG" only in read a file, however, when i do this: name=`"$line"|cut -d " " -f8` it display all the line and append 'not found' at the end of the statement the $line is actually a variable in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning counter to same keys in a file

Hi, I've a data file with similar keys coming in. I want to assign an incremental counter to those records and attach to a file for example File 10001 ABCD 10002 PQRS 10001 ABCD 10003 QWER 10001 ABCD 10002 PQRS 10004 POIU output as 10001 ABCD 1 10002 PQRS 1 10001 ABCD 2 10003... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem assigning variables to arrays

Hi All, I have a problem assigning variables to script.I have a script in which i have a while loop now i have to assign some values obtained to an array which will be used later in the script.Can anyone help how to do that. At present my scrot looks like: co=0 pco=0 co=`cat /tmp/highcpu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning variable

suppose in my script i have written a1=2 a2=4 read option # I directly want to see the value of a1 or a2 (i:e; 1 or2 )depending upon i/p given like a1 or a2 to option var.so what should i give .Suppose if I give a1 to option then how can I see the value. echo $$option --- doesn't work pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK counter problem

Hi I have a file like below ############################################ # ParentFolder Flag SubFolders Colateral 1 Source1/Checksum CVA 1 Source1/Checksum Flexing 1 VaR/Checksum Flexing 1 SVaR/Checksum FX 1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] problem assigning value

Hi, This is the script that am trying to execute. a= sar 1 5 | grep ^A | awk '{print $5}' echo $a i am getting output. 99 i get a blank space for echo $a. Why is the value not getting assigned to a?? Thanks in Advance. How to use code tags (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with counter

i having a file xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1234 ...........value can be change xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1235 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1236 . . . . xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1300 ...........value can be change i want to cut last four characters of first line and last line and find the missing pattern. output should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning matched pattern within filename to variable

I am writing a bash script where I use two types of files that both contain a numerical pattern of the type 123.4567 (always groups of three and four digits separated by period) within their filenames. I need to assign the numerical patterns of these filenames to variables (inside a for loop),... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
6 Replies
XmScrollBarGetValues(library call)										XmScrollBarGetValues(library call)

NAME
XmScrollBarGetValues -- A ScrollBar function that returns the ScrollBar's increment values SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrollBar.h> void XmScrollBarGetValues (widget, value_return, slider_size_return, increment_return, page_increment_return) Widget widget; int * value_return; int * slider_size_return; int * increment_return; int * page_increment_return; (void) DESCRIPTION
XmScrollBarGetValues returns the the ScrollBar's increment values. The scroll region is overlaid with a slider bar that is adjusted in size and position using the main ScrollBar or set slider function attributes. widget Specifies the ScrollBar widget ID. value_return Returns the ScrollBar's slider position between the XmNminimum and XmNmaximum resources. Specify NULL to prevent the return of a particular value. slider_size_return Returns the size of the slider as a value between 0 (zero) and the absolute value of XmNmaximum minus XmNminimum. The size of the slider varies, depending on how much of the slider scroll area it represents. increment_return Returns the amount of increment and decrement. page_increment_return Returns the amount of page increment and decrement. For a complete definition of ScrollBar and its associated resources, see XmScrollBar(3). RETURN
Returns the ScrollBar's increment values. RELATED
XmScrollBar(3). XmScrollBarGetValues(library call)