Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: test file empty
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting test file empty Post 302361426 by zaxxon on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 07:00:58 AM
Old 10-13-2009
You can just use the appropriate "test" option like:
Code:
if [[ ! -s $file ]]; then
     echo "file does not exist or is size 0"
fi

From man page of "test"
Quote:
-s FILE
FILE exists and has a size greater than zero
If you need more precise things on regular expressions you could use grep, egrep or grep -E and check it's exit code ($?) or instead use awk or or ... whatever you want to do.

There are lots of other options that might come handy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if test for empty and non-existing file

How to write this condition in ksh? if myfile is empty or myfile does not exist then do action1 fi is this OK? if ] -o ] then then do action1 fi Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File is not empty?

How do I check to make sure a file is not zero bytes? Something like: if then ????? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to empty file using > but the file size increasing when next append

AIX 5.3 / KSH I have a Java application which creates a log file a.log. I have a KSH script which does the following action cp a.log /directory2/b.log > a.log After this the file size goes to 0 as per "ls -l" Then next time when the application writes into this file, the file size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to see if the file is empty or not?

hi how can I determine, if a file is empty or not?I am using read line clause. The script should be like: while read line do if(file is empty) then; ...... done < $blacklist (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjay83
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

while file is empty

how can i use while loop ? while file is empty do.... if not empty do ..... in bash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trump
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat output if input file is empty, but not if file has data in it

The below awk improved bu @MadeInGermany, works great as long as the input file has data in it in the below format: input chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 631 18 chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 632 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)