Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: test file empty
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting test file empty Post 302361402 by chipcmc on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 06:16:09 AM
Old 10-13-2009
Code:
VALUE=5000
if [  -s /tmp/list ]
then
     for i in `cat /tmp/list | awk ' FS="|" { print $2 } '`
     do
        if [ "${i}" -eq  "${VALUE}" ]
        then
             echo titi
        else
              echo toto
        fi
    done 	
else
           echo "ERROR in file </tmp/list"
           exit 1
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if test for empty and non-existing file

How to write this condition in ksh? if myfile is empty or myfile does not exist then do action1 fi is this OK? if ] -o ] then then do action1 fi Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File is not empty?

How do I check to make sure a file is not zero bytes? Something like: if then ????? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong with this line: if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi

I want to print "empty" if $TEST is empty. TEST= if ${TEST:?} ; then echo empty; fi But it doesn't work. What's wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to empty file using > but the file size increasing when next append

AIX 5.3 / KSH I have a Java application which creates a log file a.log. I have a KSH script which does the following action cp a.log /directory2/b.log > a.log After this the file size goes to 0 as per "ls -l" Then next time when the application writes into this file, the file size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to see if the file is empty or not?

hi how can I determine, if a file is empty or not?I am using read line clause. The script should be like: while read line do if(file is empty) then; ...... done < $blacklist (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjay83
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

while file is empty

how can i use while loop ? while file is empty do.... if not empty do ..... in bash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trump
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat output if input file is empty, but not if file has data in it

The below awk improved bu @MadeInGermany, works great as long as the input file has data in it in the below format: input chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 631 18 chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 632 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)