Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH regex (convert from working perl version) Post 302361401 by radoulov on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 06:14:38 AM
Old 10-13-2009
Which bash version? If I recall correctly 3 and above offers support for regular expressions:

Code:
for v in 'ko=a|b' 'ok=0_/'; do
  [[ $v =~ ^[[:alpha:]]+=[./[[:alnum:]_-]+$ ]] &&
    printf '$v is ok: %s\n' "$v" ||
          printf '$v is not ok: %s\n' "$v"
done

The above outputs:

Code:
$v is not ok: ko=a|b
$v is ok: ok=0_/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Intern needing to convert bash to perl.

Hello All. I am very new to Linux and I am currently interning. I have been working on a project for a week and I have had no success. I have to convert bash shell into perl to decrypt and store files. Here is the code in Linux and Bash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. $... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: freak
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Need to convert bash shell to perl

Hello All. I am very new to Linux and I am currently interning. I have been working on a project for 2 weeks now and I have had no success. I have to convert bash shell into perl to decrypt and store files. Here is the code in Linux and Bash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. $... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: freak
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

***convert from perl to bash***

can any body translate the follwing script into one that works in bash? #!/usr/bin/perl # classify_books.pl my $csv_file = shift; my %categories = ( 'childrens' => 'childrens_books.txt', 'horror' => 'horror_books.txt', 'sports ' =>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferrycorsten73
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash with: if, elif & regex not working

Why is only hello3 being printed? There must be some kind of syntax problem because the file list definitely includes all the file extensions line by line. #!/bin/bash find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f | while read F do if ] # if the file name ends in .txt.c then ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting perl regex to sed regex

I am having trouble parsing rpm filenames in a shell script.. I found a snippet of perl code that will perform the task but I really don't have time to rewrite the entire script in perl. I cannot for the life of me convert this code into something sed-friendly: if ($rpm =~ /(*)-(*)-(*)\.(.*)/)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suntzu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert .../($var1|$var2)/... regex to string

Hello, In one part of my shell program I need to translate many of lines in the following pattern : /(folder1|...|folderN)/(sub1|...|subN)/.../(file1|...|fileN) into strings : /folder1/sub1/.../file1 /folder1/sub1/.../... /folder1/sub1/.../fileN ... /folderN/subN/.../fileN the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghadamyari
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert posix regex to pcre (perl)

In order to clean file from html tags i used the following sed 's/<*>//g' filename Right now i need to do the same from php script so i have to use pcre. How to convert? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make working this regex in perl?

Hello to all, The Regex below is supposed to match all strings except RR45. I've tested in regex101.com and it works, butwhen I try to use it with the perl command below I get the error shown. Regex=(?<=^|RR45)(?!RR45).+?(?=RR45|$) How to fix this? I'm using Cygwin. $ echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, RegEx - Help me to understand the regex!

I am not a big expert in regex and have just little understanding of that language. Could you help me to understand the regular Perl expression: ^(?!if\b|else\b|while\b|)(?:+?\s+){1,6}(+\s*)\(*\) *?(?:^*;?+){0,10}\{ ------ This is regex to select functions from a C/C++ source and defined in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert bash to simple perl

please delete! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
0 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1995-07-14 RE_COMP(3)