Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE unable to ping virtualbox machine Post 302361386 by woofie on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 05:30:42 AM
Old 10-13-2009
pludi ... thanks heaps... worked it out and all good can now ping host and guest OS Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping to machine and count responses

if i wanted to ping all the machines in a given directory (/etc/hosts) and return a total count of responses how would i go about scripting that? complete newbie...so be gentle if ; then //$1 = /etc/hosts cd "$1" //this puts me into the directory i need...but how do i send ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to ping

DEar all i am receiving this error on start and then unable to ping (dlpid): unable to open network adapter driver (/dev/mdi/e3h0) what to do ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Unable to ping the gateway IP itself

We are unable to bring one of our linux boxes into the network once it was restarted. But once we stop and start the network service. We are able to ping the gateway and get into network. After a minute or two we get the following reponse for the ping command 64 bytes from 124.168.215.40:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
6 Replies

4. IP Networking

Unable to ping freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name

hi all. am unable to ping a freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name from a windows machine. i have already set the fqdn for the machine. plz advise me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

5. Solaris

not able to ping base OS from virtual machine

I have a vista on my PC . I have created a Solaris 10 server on it using VM ware . I have selected bridge mode to connect my PC and virtual machine together .I have alloted ip 192.168.1.2 to my virtual machine and 192.168.1.11 to my PC . I am able to ping the virtual machine from the base machine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start virtual machine in Virtualbox giving username and password.

i have found a way to start vm with commanda as follows - VBoxManage startvm <uuid>|<name> it is installed inside oracle virtualbox. in vmware we have a way to do this -- $vmware-cmd -v -H localhost -U user -P password /var/lib/vmware-server/Virtual\ Machines/Ubuntu/Ubuntu.vmx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: upvan111
0 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to ping localhost

Hi all, I have gone through many posts related to this issue,but my issue wasn't resolved hence creating new thread. I am unable to ping localhost. ping localhost tries to ping localhost which is defined in DNS. My /etc/hosts has entry for localhost as 127.0.0.1 loopback localhost. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chpsam
8 Replies

8. Linux

Unable to connect to Server machine from a client machine using ftp service

Hi, Could you please help me with the below issue.. I'm running RHEL6 OS on both server (192.168.0.10) and client machines (192.168.0.1). I'm trying to connect to server from the client machine using ftp service. I have installed vsftpd daemon on both the machines. I'm getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

Cant ping Linux machine from Windows

Hi I have established LAN with the help of D-Link router. I am having 2 desktops ethernet connection managed by this D-Link router. One PC is with Windows 7 OS Second PC is with Redhat Linux 6.1 Both the PCs now stands connected to internet via this D-Link router. I could ping windows PC... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
12 Replies
DNPING(1)						      General Commands Manual							 DNPING(1)

NAME
dnping - Loopbacks diagnostic packets through a remote node SYNOPSIS
dnping nodename [user pass] count or dnping nodename [options] nodename Options: [qsv] [-c number] [-i interval] [-p password] [-s size] [-u username] [-w timeout] DESCRIPTION
This utility sends to remote DECnet node nodename the number of packets specified by count to test the link between the two systems. Optionally a username and password may be specified for the connection as well as several other options. NOTE that if you dnping another Linux box it must have dnetd running. NOTE also that dnping is not really like an IP "ping" in that it needs a registered object at the other end to connect to. So, just because you cannot ping a machine does not, necessarily, mean that machine is not available, just that the MIRROR object is not available. There is not (to my knowledge) a low-level equivalent in DECnet of the ICMP ping message. OPTIONS
-c number Number of packets to send (default 10) -d Debug mode (default off) -i interval interval between packets in microseconds (default 0) -p password Access control password. If this is "-" then you will be prompted. -q Quiet mode (default off) -s size size of frame to send in bytes (40 data + 68 hdr) -t timestamps mode (default off) -u username access control username -w timeout Specifies a timeout (in seconds). If not response is received after this time then dnping will abort. The default is to wait for- ever. -v verbose mode (default off) EXAMPLES
Pings 10 packets through remote node "mv3100" # dnping mv3100 10 Make it look a bit like IP ping: # dnping -vti 1000000 marsha SEE ALSO
dntype(1), dndir(1), dndel(1), dntask(1), sethost(1), dnetd(8) DECnet utilities January 25 2000 DNPING(1)