Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Syntax Help | unix | grep | regular expression | repetition Post 302360962 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 11th of October 2009 06:21:49 PM
Old 10-11-2009
And then you could leave out the comma too:
Code:
ps -e | grep "^ *[0-9]\{4\}"

or even 4 characters that are no space.
Code:
ps -e | grep "^ *[^ ]\{4\}"

( and since the first field is right aligned and the max pid is 99999:
Code:
ps -e|grep '^.[^ ]'

or filter out lines that start with two spaces:
Code:
ps -e|grep -v '^  '

but that is stretching it a little and probably not very portable Smilie )

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-11-2009 at 07:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : regular expression

guys, my requirment goes like this: I have a file, and wish to filter out records where 1. The first letter is o or O and 2. The next 4 following letter should not be ther I do not wish to use pipe and wish to do it in one shot. The best expression I came up with is: grep ^*... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regarding grep regular expression

When i do ls -ld RT_BP* i am getting the following list. drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809.O drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP810 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with regular expression

Hi, guys. I have one question, hope somebody can give me a hand I have a file called passwd, the contents of it arebelow: *********************** ... goldsimj:x:5008:200: goldsij2:x:5009:200: whitej:x:5010:201: brownj:x:5011:202: goldsij3:x:5012:204: greyp:x:5013:203: ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep regular expression

please can someone tell me what the following regrex means grep "^aa*$" <file> I thought this would match any word beginning with aa and ending with $, but it doesnt. Thanks in advance Calypso (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help | unix | grep | regular expression

I have the following code: ls -al /bin | tr -s ' ' | grep 'x' ls -al: Lists all the files in a given director such as /bin tr -s ' ': removes additional spaces between characters so that there is only one space grep 'x': match all "x" characters that are followed by a whitespace. I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help | Unix | grep | regular expression | backreference | Syntax/Logic

Hello, I'm working on learning regular expressions and what I can do with them. I'm using unix to and its programs to experiment and learn what my limitations are with them. I'm working on duplicating the regular expression: ^(.*)(\r?\n\1)+$ This is supposed to delete duplicate lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and regular expression

Hi, I am executing a svnlook command to check to see if the following line exists. I need a regular expression to represent the line. A /test/test1/qa/test2/index.html A /test/test1/qa/test3/test.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test3/test1.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test4/test.swf I just need to extract... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kminkeller
9 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk script (syntax error in regular expression)

I've found this script which seems very promising to solve my issue: To search and replace many different database passwords in many different (.php, .pl, .cgi, etc.) files across my filesystem. The passwords may or may not be contained within quotes, single quotes, etc. #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regular expression

I want to track only below: I am using below, but it doesn't work: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies
re_comp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       re_comp(3C)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - compile and execute regular expressions SYNOPSIS
#include <re_comp.h> char *re_comp(const char *string); int re_exec(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
The re_comp() function converts a regular expression string (RE) into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. The re_exec() func- tion compares the string pointed to by the string argument with the last regular expression passed to re_comp(). If re_comp() is called with a null pointer argument, the current regular expression remains unchanged. Strings passed to both re_comp() and re_exec() must be terminated by a null byte, and may include NEWLINE characters. The re_comp() and re_exec() functions support simple regular expressions, which are defined on the regexp(5) manual page. The regular expressions of the form {m}, {m,}, or {m,n} are not supported. RETURN VALUES
The re_comp() function returns a null pointer when the string pointed to by the string argument is successfully converted. Otherwise, a pointer to one of the following error message strings is returned: No previous regular expression Regular expression too long unmatched ( missing ] too many () pairs unmatched ) Upon successful completion, re_exec() returns 1 if string matches the last compiled regular expression. Otherwise, re_exec() returns 0 if string fails to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression is invalid (indicating an internal error). ERRORS
No errors are defined. USAGE
For portability to implementations conforming to X/Open standards prior to SUS, regcomp(3C) and regexec(3C) are preferred to these func- tions. See standards(5). SEE ALSO
grep(1), regcmp(1), regcmp(3C), regcomp(3C), regexec(3C), regexpr(3GEN), regexp(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 26 Feb 1997 re_comp(3C)