Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Best Practice to avoid dump core to fill-up root disk Post 302360300 by lamoul on Thursday 8th of October 2009 02:25:44 PM
Old 10-08-2009
Best Practice to avoid dump core to fill-up root disk

Hi,

We're running HP-UX 11.21 / 11.31 on PARISC and ITANIUM. We're looking for soluation to avoid the core dump files to fill up / disk. Which moethod or technology that you normally use to implement this?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

does any one have read a core dump? is there any reader for that? or may i know what is the use of that core which takes sometimes memory in GBs? :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

Hi , Working on AIX 4.3. An internal error from my apps engine suddenly causes the engine to die. During this time i do notice a core file being dumped in the directory from where I try to re-start my engine. Q is how does one read this core file, or I should say 'what is this core file'? thnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buRst
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

I've got a core dump in my weblogic home directory, which i have tried to debug by initiating savecore from /etc/init.d/savecore start but savecore failed to create the two files, that is vmcore.n and vmunix.n. savecore is enable on my server to save vmcore and vmunix in /var/crash/hostname 1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

core dump

Hi All, i am new to this forum.i want detail of reading the core file and trace the problem because of what the program get crashed.please help me.if any body knows any website or tutoril plese let me know. sudhir (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir patnaik
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Core Dump

Hello all, Iam new to unix while executing java program which finely working in windows know iam testing with unix ,but in unix while executing iam getting core dump, my application is in client server environment and it is menu drivrn application on clicking options no problem but after some time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinp
1 Replies

7. Programming

core dump

how to view core dumped file using gdb and how to extract information from the coredumped file.can we get similar information from the other utilites like strace or ptrace. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No core dump

my progrme complaints 'Segmentation fault'. How to let it print 'Segmentation fault(core dumped)' and generate core dump file? $ulimit unlimited (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
22 Replies

9. HP-UX

Core dump in HP-UX

Hi Guys, I was wondering if somebody could give me a link to a very good source of information or document about core dump process and How to's about it. I have also googled it and found some articles myself. Thanks Messi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

10. Solaris

core dump

Hi guys, just want to know which core file pattern is best to set for core dumps: 1) per-process file name pattern or 2) global file name pattern. I will really appreciate an explanation why the chosen one is better. Thanks a lot guys. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies
SAVECORE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SAVECORE(8)

NAME
savecore -- save a core dump of the operating system SYNOPSIS
savecore -c [-v] [device ...] savecore -C [-v] [device ...] savecore [-fkvz] [-m maxdumps] [directory [device ...]] DESCRIPTION
The savecore utility copies a core dump into directory, or the current working directory if no directory argument is given, and enters a reboot message and information about the core dump into the system log. The options are as follows: -C Check to see if a dump exists, and display a brief message to indicate the status. An exit status of 0 indicates that a dump is there, 1 indicates that none exists. This option is compatible only with the [-v] option. -c Clear the dump, so that future invocations of savecore will ignore it. -f Force a dump to be taken even if either the dump was cleared or if the dump header information is inconsistent. -k Do not clear the dump after saving it. -m maxdumps Maximum number of dumps to store. Once the number of stored dumps is equal to maxdumps the counter will restart from 0. -v Print out some additional debugging information. Specify twice for more information. -z Compress the core dump and kernel (see gzip(1)). The savecore utility looks for dumps on each device specified by the device argument(s), or on each device in /etc/fstab marked as ``dump'' or ``swap''. The savecore utility checks the core dump in various ways to make sure that it is complete. If it passes these checks, it saves the core image in directory/vmcore.# and information about the core in directory/info.#. For kernel textdumps generated with the textdump(4) facility, output will be stored in the tar(5) format and named directory/textdump.tar.#. The ``#'' is the number from the first line of the file directory/bounds, and it is incremented and stored back into the file each time savecore successfully runs. The savecore utility also checks the available disk space before attempting to make the copies. If there is insufficient disk space in the file system containing directory, or if the file directory/minfree exists and the number of free kilobytes (for non-superusers) in the file system after the copies were made would be less than the number in the first line of this file, the copies are not attempted. If savecore successfully copies the kernel and the core dump, the core dump is cleared so that future invocations of savecore will ignore it. The savecore utility is meant to be called near the end of the initialization file /etc/rc (see rc(8)). SEE ALSO
gzip(1), getbootfile(3), textdump(4), tar(5), dumpon(8), syslogd(8) HISTORY
The savecore utility appeared in 4.1BSD. Support for kernel textdumps appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. BUGS
The minfree code does not consider the effect of compression or sparse files. BSD
December 17, 2012 BSD