Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete line upto the nth occurence of a particular charachter. Post 302360105 by zaxxon on Thursday 8th of October 2009 06:48:51 AM
Old 10-08-2009
Code:
# with shell:
$> A='cp cms/images/wifi-zone.css.php'
$> echo ${A##*.}
php
with sed:
$> echo 'cp cms/images/wifi-zone.css.php'| sed 's/.*\.\([^.]*\)$/\1/'
php

---------- Post updated at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:48 PM ----------

To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace matching nth occurence

Hi for eg my file has: val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | here i need to replace '|' with '|\n' where the occurence of '|' is divisble by 2 so that the output comes like this val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | Requesting suggestions in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav288
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nth occurence

Hi My input file is like this for eg: abc abc abc abc abc abc i would like to replace "abc" with "cba" where the occurrence is divisible by 2 of eg here 2nd, 4th and 6th occurence shud be replace can anyone suggest in awk or sed (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav288
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert special charachter ^C to new line

Hi, I have a file, which contains ^C or ^A characters from mainfrme system, it's dec 192 or octal 300 hex C0. I want to replace this character with new line. I used commands, but it didn't worked. tr '\o300' '\n' <t >t2 #or tr '\xC0' '\n' <t > t2 Can somebody help me to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnag97
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the Nth Occurence of Search String

Hi guys, I like to find the Line number of Nth Occurence of a Search string in a file. If possible, if it will land the cursor to that particualar line will be great. Cheers!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete nth line

can you please tell me (1) how to delete 1st and 3rd line only from a file. (2) How to delete last 4 lines in a file that has 2 blank lines out of last 4 lines. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete until Nth occurence (sed, awk)

Hello people, Once more I need your help with SED/AWK I need to delete up to the Nth occurence of a char (from the beggining) and until the Mth occurence of a char (from the end) Example: Input: a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z Output: i,j Must delete up to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract until nth occurence

Hi, I couldn't figure how to extract until last occurence of a character. I have the string ./dir1/file1/abc.sh The output should be /dir1/file1 So, the command should display the path until last occurence of "/". Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivn786
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi delete line with second occurence of pattern

I have a large file and many lines are duplicated. I'm trying to delete lines with every second occurrence of a pattern. Did tried searching similar question but no luck. I can delete all lines matching pattern with :g/pattern/d but don't want to lose data. Sample pattern to delete... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: homer4all
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get nth occurence of string from a file

I have file in which the data looks like this, 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ 03,test1,41203016,,/ 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: r@v!7*7@
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete after nth occurence of string in each line

Hello, Environment: I am under Ubuntu 18.04 bionic. I have an sql file consisting of 10K lines. Objective: What I am trying to attain is to remove everything coming after 2nd tab in each line. While searching for the answer, I found two answers and both gave expected result just for the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
HIGHLIGHT_STRING(3)							 1						       HIGHLIGHT_STRING(3)

highlight_string - Syntax highlighting of a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed highlight_string (string $str, [bool $return = false]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs or returns html markup for a syntax highlighted version of the given PHP code using the colors defined in the built-in syntax highlighter for PHP. PARAMETERS
o $str - The PHP code to be highlighted. This should include the opening tag. o $return - Set this parameter to TRUE to make this function return the highlighted code. RETURN VALUES
If $return is set to TRUE, returns the highlighted code as a string instead of printing it out. Otherwise, it will return TRUE on success, FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 highlight_string(3) example <?php highlight_string('<?php phpinfo(); ?>'); ?> The above example will output (in PHP 4): <code><font color="#000000"> <font color="#0000BB">&lt;?php phpinfo</font><font color="#007700">(); </font><font color="#0000BB">?&gt;</font> </font> </code> The above example will output (in PHP 5): <code><span style="color: #000000"> <span style="color: #0000BB">&lt;?php phpinfo</span><span style="color: #007700">(); </span><span style="color: #0000BB">?&gt;</span> </span> </code> NOTES
Note When the $return parameter is used, this function uses internal output buffering so it cannot be used inside an ob_start(3) callback function. The HTML markup generated is subject to change. SEE ALSO
highlight_file(3), Highlighting INI directives. PHP Documentation Group HIGHLIGHT_STRING(3)