Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Bring NIC in Promiscious Mode Post 302360087 by pludi on Thursday 8th of October 2009 05:50:06 AM
Old 10-08-2009
Usually, the promiscuous mode should be enabled by the packet sniffing software. WireShark, for example, can do that, but you'll need administrative privileges for that, or have PCAP running as a system service.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will Linux force NIC into promiscuous mode?

Right now I have a computer that I want to use as the monitor for my network. It's currently running Windows 7, and so as I understand it the NIC won't monitor all the traffic on the network. So my question is, if I install Linux on this computer will I be able to force the NIC card into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iJeydon
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I suspect that my NIC is working in hybridization mode?

Hi, all: The physical network interface card should drop the packets if it doesn't match the MAC address of the NIC. In my PC, however, the packets which shoud be dropped trigger the interrupt function of my own driver and are recieved as skb to be transfered to the upper layer! Why? How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liklstar
1 Replies

3. Solaris

x86 Solaris 10 nic driver added but not attached. NIC is not detected.

I couldn't install my nic in solaris 10. I compiled and added the driver but failed to attach the driver and ifconfig output shows only loopback dev. Please see the following output and tell me whether my nic has been detected and why the driver failed to attach? My nic is detected in linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

squid proxy: one NIC for inbound & one NIC for outbound?

I am new in squid proxy. My question is how to (and if it's necessary) to set one NIC for inbound traffic (http requests) and one NIC for outbound traffic (http answers)? Thank you in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

5. Solaris

DNS service is in maintenance mode. How to bring it back to online mode?

:confused: when i tried to look the status of DNS-client, it is in maintenance mode..... Please tell me how to bring it back to online mode...PLEASE TELL ME STEP BY STEP.... PLEASE... :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

I want to tune NIC's rps, rfs and xps value. which NIC device should I modify.

Dear All I want tune my NIC's rps, rfs and xps value. In my system I have two NIC (eth0, eth1) and I have a bond0 ( eth0, eth1). Here is the question? Which device should I modify ? eth0 and eth1? or just modify bond0 or modify all device (eth0, eth1, bond0) Any advice is welcome.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

From a C++ application how to find if a hpux host is in standard mode or trusted mode

is there a way for my C++ application to find out which mode the hpux OS is running in? standard mode or trusted mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
3 Replies

8. Linux

Add two different subnet public IPs to single NIC or two different NIC on same box

Hello Admins, My ask is how can I add two different subnet IPs to same box with two different gateways? The issue is I can connect to the box when I am on ethernet LAN, but I am not able to connect to the same IP when I am on wifi. The server is RHEL 7 VM on vmware. How can I get connected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies
GETTABLE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       GETTABLE(8)

NAME
gettable - get NIC format host tables from a host SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/gettable [ -v ] host [ outfile ] DESCRIPTION
Gettable is a simple program used to obtain the NIC standard host tables from a ``nicname'' server. The indicated host is queried for the tables. The tables, if retrieved, are placed in the file outfile or by default, hosts.txt. The -v option will get just the version number instead of the complete host table and put the output in the file outfile or by default, hosts.ver. Gettable operates by opening a TCP connection to the port indicated in the service specification for ``nicname''. A request is then made for ``ALL'' names and the resultant information is placed in the output file. Gettable is best used in conjunction with the htable(8) program which converts the NIC standard file format to that used by the network library lookup routines. SEE ALSO
intro(3N), htable(8), named(8) BUGS
If the name-domain system provided network name mapping well as host name mapping, gettable would no longer be needed. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution November 17, 1996 GETTABLE(8)