Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script or command help to extract specific contents from a long list of content Post 302359967 by patrick87 on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 09:11:32 PM
Old 10-07-2009
Thanks Scottn.
Actually I just feel confusing if I want to extract few contents only from a long list of contents.
The way to solve seems like different with the way we extract only one contents from a long list of contents,right?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent: selecting unique specific content of a file using shell script

Hi, I have a file whose content and format at places is as given below. print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn .... skip 1 line print coloumn ... skip 1 line I need to select the following : print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

extract field of characters after a specific pattern - using UNIX shell script

Hello, Below is my input file's content ( in HP-UX platform ): ABCD120672-B21 1 ABCD142257-002 1 ABCD142257-003 1 ABCD142257-006 1 From the above, I just want to get the field of 13 characters that comes after 'ABCD' i.e '120672-B21'... . Could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific content from a file

My input file: >sequence_1 ASSSSSSSSSSSDDDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCC ASDSFDFFDFDFFWERERERERFSDFESFSFD >sequence_2 ASDFDFDFFDDFFDFDSFDSFDFSDFSDFDSFASDSADSADASD ASDFFDFDFASFASFASFAFSFFSDASFASFASFAFS >sequence_3 VEDFGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG dDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDF SDGFDGSFDGSGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG My... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
22 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the content after a specific data

My input: >seq_1 DSASSTRRARRRRTPRTPSLRSRRSDVTCS >seq_3 RMRLRRWRKSCSERS*RRSN >seq_8 RTTGLSERPRLPTTASRSISSRWTR >seq_10 NELPLEKGSLDSISIE >seq_9 PNQGDAREPQAHLPRRQGPRDRPLQAYA+ QVQHRRHDHSRTQH*LCRRRQREDCDRLHR >seq_4 DRGKGQAGCRRPQEGEALVRRCS>seq_6 FA*GLAAQDGEA*SGRG My output: Extract all... (22 Replies)
22 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific data content from a long list of data

My input: Data name: ABC001 Data length: 1000 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 10 100 90 1 forward 15 200 185 2 reverse 50 500 450 Data name: XFG110 Data length: 100 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 50 100 50 ... (11 Replies)
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Way to extract detail and its content above specific value problem asking

Input file: >position_10 sample:68711 coords:5453-8666 number:3 type:complete len:344 MSINQYSSDFHYHSLMWQQQQQQQQHQNDVVEEKEALFEKPLTPSDVGKLNRLVIPKQHA ERYFPLAAAAADAVEKGLLLCFEDEEGKPWRFRYSYWNSSQSYVLTKGWSRYVKEKHLDA NRTS* >position_4 sample:68711 coords:553-866 number:4 type:partial len:483... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all content that match exactly only specific word

Input: 21 templeta parent 35718 36554 . - . ID=parent_cluster_50.21.11; Name=Partial%20parent%20for%20training%20set; 21 templeta kids 35718 36554 . - . ID=_52; Parent=parent_cluster_5085.21.11; 21 templeta ... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I write the specific content in the file through shell script

Hello, I need to do one thing that my script creates the file touch release.SPLASH_12_03_00_RC01.txt Now I want to update that file with some content e.g splashbuild::SPLASH_12_17_00_RC02.zip Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract specific contents from each line

Hi all, Happy new year! Here I have a problem with extract specific information from each line in unix: My file is the dbSNP flat file, take two SNPs for examples: REFSNP-DOCSUM-SET (FULL-DUMP) CREATED ON: 2012-06-08 10:50 rs782 | human | 9606 | snp | genotype=NO |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: luoruicd
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse xml in shell script and extract records with specific condition

Hi I have xml file with multiple records and would like to extract records from xml with specific condition if specific tag is present extract entire row otherwise skip . <logentry revision="21510"> <author>mantest</author> <date>2015-02-27</date> <QC_ID>334566</QC_ID>... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: madankumar.t@hp
12 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2018-08-17 PTARGREP(1)