Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris change root password on t5120 Post 302359924 by darklilith on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 05:46:23 PM
Old 10-07-2009
change root password on t5120

hi all, i have a problem with a sun server, since a while the root password has been lost and now that we need to give maintenance to the services hosted in it, we cant access it, i tried a method to change it by booting from cd but i cant direct the server to boot from the cd. (The server is on auto boot), i couldnt acces the ok prompt either by the break key method (i dont know if i did it right, i just know you're supposed to press break when the server starts the self-test), any help would be apreciated thx

model: t5120
using a wyse terminal via serial conection

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to change root password on HP UX

Hello, I try to make a change on the root password on HP UX. I use sam but it didn't work here. I try to login as root but I failed however, I login to my name and then change to su and su password then it is o.k There is not much different from root and su but how do we use root? Thanks so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle06
4 Replies

2. Solaris

change root password

Hi, please advise me what is the simplest way to change root password on Sun Sparc 64 bit with Solaris 9 on it. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Change root password?

Hello! I forget the root password and I need to change it. I've read others threads about it in this forum, but it seems it's necessary to modify /etc/passwd file. In my HPUX Systems this passwd file have only "read" permissions ant its owner is the root user, so how can i modify this file, if I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaugrs
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to change ROOT password.

Hi, we have a HP-UX server of model 9000/800/rp4440. We have been trying to reset the root password but are in vain.I used the following command and also are the outputs which i have received. # passwd Changing password for root New password: Re-enter new password: Unexpected failure.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelofhell
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Root Password change

Hi All, I would like to find out when the root password changed last time..! :p Please guys help me Out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Root access that can't change root password?

We are having a little problem on a server. We want that some users should be able to do e.g. sudo and become root, but with the restriction that the user can't change root password. That is, a guarantee that we still can login to that server and become root no matter of what the other users will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
dxhanyuim(1X)															     dxhanyuim(1X)

NAME
dxhanyuim - An input server for Traditional Chinese DESCRIPTION
In a Motif environment such as CDE, Asian language input methods are supported by independent processes called input servers. The Tradi- tional Chinese input server (dxhanyuim) is an X client process that can run on a standard X server, provided that the server system has the required Traditional Chinese fonts installed. This means that the input server can run on any system that can access your X display device, including the device itself. Starting the Input Server If your CDE session language is set to Traditional Chinese, the Traditional Chinese input server is started automatically, and both the language setting and the Traditional Chinese input method is available for applications that you start during that session. If your session language is not set to Traditional Chinese, you can switch to Traditional Chinese from a terminal emulation window by setting the LANG environment variable to a Traditional Chinese locale. From the same terminal emulation window, you must also use the command line to start the Traditional Chinese input method server and then other applications in which you want to use Traditional Chinese. You can start the input server on your local workstation by using the following command: % /usr/bin/X11/dxhanyuim & If you want to start the input server on a remote system, log on the remote system, and enter the following commands. Substitute the name of your local system for <display_name> in the first command. % setenv DISPLAY <display_name>:0 % /usr/bin/X11/dxhanyuim & After the input server is started, any Motif applications that have been internationalized to support Traditional Chinese can communicate with the server to obtain input method services. However, remember that these applications must be started after the server is started. RESTRICTIONS
This input server uses X11R6. It can connect to input-method clients running X11R4, X11R5, or X11R6 under the same locale. However, support for multiple monitors (multi-head systems) is available only to clients also running X11R6. Support for multiple monitors is not available to input-method clients using X11R5 or X11R4. If you are using a PC-style keyboard, the input server may not recognize the Backspace key as the way to delete the previous character in the input method preediting area. In this case, you must use the Delete key to delete the character. The default Alt-Space key sequence for activating and deactivating the input method may not work under CDE. In this case, invoke the dialog box for Input Method Customization and change the key sequence for Start Input Method and End Input Method to be something other than Alt- Space. For example, you could change the sequence to be Ctrl-Space. SEE ALSO
Commands: dxhanyuim(1X), dxhanziim(1X), dxjim(1X), locale(1) Others: Chinese(5), i18n_intro(5), l10n_intro(5) dxhanyuim(1X)