Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compare two directories and copy differing files Post 302359906 by raaaaaa on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 04:52:17 PM
Old 10-07-2009
Compare two directories and copy differing files

Hello there, I'm a total noob to shell scripting. Smilie

What I want to do is compare the contents of Folder A and Folder B, and copy any files in Folder A that do not exist in Folder B over to Folder B.

I have gotten so far as:

diff -rq folderA folderB

which returns the names of the files, but I don't know how to do the second part of the operation.

Thanks very much, your help is greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files from two directories

HI, i want to compare one file from one directory to many files in other directory. means in my /DIR/20070930/b/STG* directory i have only one file and in /DIR/20070930/a/STG* directory i have many files. so i want to check the name of that files should be present in other directory or not ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi214u
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare all files under directories

Hello I am very new to Unix. I am actually using the C shell to write a program that will compare all the files in the directory and subdirectores and print out the ones that are identical, I am assuming identical by name or text Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ga.miami56
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare files in 2 directories?

Hi, I want to compare the content of 2 directories and list down both the duplicate and unique files from each directory. Tried to use diff but but not able to achieve the result. For example, DirA FileX FileY FileZ DirB FileY The desired outcome is Duplication: FileY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andre_2008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare two files in different directories

Hi all , Can any one give me the solution for below query. I have two files . firstfile: xyz123 abc234 text2456 secondfile (\home\test) xyz123:ram ab34:scrit text2456:maven After you compare the ouput should the the common items in both files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare files in two directories

Hi All, I have two directories that has some files, some of the files are common to both of them like : ls -l dir1 file1 file2 file3 ls -l dir2 file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 Now i want to get the files from dir2 that are not present in dir1 (means i want to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files of 2 directories

Hi all, I have 2 directories dir1 and dir2 which contains many xml files. I need to compare files of dir1 with that of dir2 and if they match, I need to cut it from dir1 and paste it in dir2. I need to do this thru scripts. I'm currently investigating on the diff command. Please help me write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
pam_mount(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      pam_mount(8)

NAME
pam_mount -- Home Folder Mounting PAM module SYNOPSIS
[service-name] function-class control-flag pam_mount [options] DESCRIPTION
The Home Folder Mounting PAM module supports the authentication and session management function classes. In terms of the function-class parameter, these are ``auth'' and ``session'' respectively. The Home Folder Mounting Authentication Module The Home Folder Mounting authentication module reads the mount authenticator from the PAM authentication context and caches it in the PAM environment. The Home Folder Mounting Session Management Module must be used in conjunction with this module to remove the authenticator from the PAM environment. The Home Folder Mounting Session Management Module The Home Folder Mounting session management module copies the mount authenticator from the PAM environment, removes it from the PAM environ- ment, and uses its copy to mount the user's home folder if the user's OpenDirectory record indicates that an AFP, SMB, NFS or FileVault home folder is to be used. When the session is closed, the Home Folder Mounting session management module unmounts the user's home folder if it was mounted by this mod- ule when the session was opened. SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam(8), DirectoryService(8) BSD
February 7, 2009 BSD