Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing new line from the shell variable value Post 302359778 by thegeek on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 11:00:40 AM
Old 10-07-2009
Yep, then it was my misunderstanding while reviewing that script.

Finally, i understood that date will not push newline. Thanks for all your response.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing line breaks from a shell variable

Here is my snippet of code... getDescription() { DESCRIPTION=$(dbaccess dncsdb - << ! 2>/dev/null|sed -e 's/hctt_description//' -e '/^$/ d'|tr -d '\r' select hct_type.hctt_description from hct_type,hct_profile where hct_type.hctt_id=hct_profile.hctt_id and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing line and duplicate line

Hi, I have 3 lines in a text file that is similar to this (as a result of a diff between 2 files): 35,36d34 < DATA.EVENT.EVENT_ID.s = "3661208" < DATA.EVENT.EVENT_ID.s = "3661208" I am trying to get it down to just this: DATA.EVENT.EVENT_ID.s = "3661208" How can I do this?... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character ' from a variable

Hello there, I have a variable in the form of '/example/file.txt' . I want to remove the ' characters from the beginning and the end so that the my new variable becomes /example/file.txt . How can I do it in a script? I know this is a fairly easy question, but i wasn't able to implement it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sertansenturk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a character from a variable and assigning it to another variable?

Hi folks. I have this variable called FirstIN that contains something like this: 001,002,003,004... I am trying to assign the content of this variable into ModifiedIN but with the following format : 001 002 003 004...(changing the commas for spaces) I thought about using sed but i am not... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl removing strings from a variable value

Dear all, I have a variable called $abc, which the value is something like below, *** *********** : ***** where * can be anything. I need to remove all but the final characters until last whitespace. example grd groupstudy : tutor6/7 becomes tutor6/7 something like if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a line IF the next line contains string

So, I've been working on a project which takes layer 7 metadata from pcap dumps and archives it. However, there is a lot of dataless information that I don't want in my output. I know of ways to produce the output I want from the input file below, but I want a method of doing this, regardless of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eh3civic
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tabbing a line a variable number of times in shell

Hi, I had another question. I was wondering if there was a way to tab a line a variable number of times in tcsh. To go into details, I want to tab a line by how deep a file is in its path. So here is an example code: set filea=/blah1/blah2/blah3 set fileb=/blah1/blah2/blah3/blah4 set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chu816
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Embeded shell variable in command line

Hello, I know this is a situation about the single quote and double literal, but I could not figure out after many search. I need to loop through thousands of different BACs sequencing to optimize kmer individually. IN=/PATH/TO/INPUT/FILES for sample in S{01..1096} do run_program... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use shell variable in perl command line

Hi, I would like to use a shell variable $amp in my perl command line. for fa in $WORKSPACE/*.fa; do amp=`grep ">.*" $fa | sed -e's#>\(.*\)#\1#g'` ampsam="$WORKSPACE/$base/$base.$amp.sam" sqheader=`grep "^@SQ.*SN:$amp.*" $sam` printf "$sqheader\n" >> $ampsam ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a two files, line by line in UNIX script and how to assign shell variable to awk ..?

Input are file and file1 file contains store.bal product.bal category.bal admin.bal file1 contains flip.store.bal ::FFFF:BADC:CD28,::FFFF:558E:11C5,6,8,2,1,::FFFF:81C8:CA8B,::FFFF:BADC:CD28,1,0,0,0,::FFFF:81C8:11C5,2,1,0,0,::FFFF:81DC:3111,1,0,1,0 store.bal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
2 Replies
SHELR(1)																  SHELR(1)

NAME
shelr - screencasting for shell ninjas DESCRIPTION
Shelr records terminal output and can replay it. Also you can shere Your records at http://shelr.tv/ or other services. SYNOPSIS
shelr command [id] COMMANDS
record Will record your terminal unless you type exit or Ctrl+D and store it to $HOME/.local/share/shelr/ list lists all your shellcasts. play plays local or remote shellcast. push publish your shellcast dump dump shellcast as json to current directory. EXAMPLES
Record your shellcast: $ shelr record $ # do something ... $ exit List recorded shellcasts: $ shelr list Play local shellcast: $ shelr play 1293702847 # play your own local record $ shelr play record.json # created with shelr dump $ shelr play last # will play most recent local record Play remote shellcast: $ shelr play http://shelr.tv/records/4d1f7c3890820d6144000002.json Publish your shellcast: $ shelr push 1293702847 $ shelr push last # will push most recent local record Setup recording backend: $ shelr backend script $ shelr backend ttyrec BUGS
Windows heh. COPYRIGHT
(C) 2010, 2011, 2012 Antono Vasiljev self@antono.info Licensed under GPLv3+ SEE ALSO
script(1), scriptreplay(1), ttyrec(1), ttyplay(1) April 2012 SHELR(1)